What's your favorite pocket gun? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatherd

Inactive
nt

------------------
"Is he quite safe?" "Of course he isn't safe, he is a lion, but he is good." - about Aslan (God-image) from CS Lewis's the Cronicles of Narnia

Goatherd:

S&W Mod 442/642 Centennial in .38 Special.

Both are light, have decent sights (for pocket pistols), have adequate power with +P loads (which they can handle nicely), easy to hold onto w/Uncle Mike's Boot Grip, they fit in a trouser or jacket pocket just right.

Oh, they're accurate (if you do your part) and they always work.

Mike

German made Walther .380 PPK/S (not the Interarms junk...)

This pistol has a very slim profile and, for me, is hightly acurate.

CMOS

FWIW, my favorite pocket gun is the Glock 26. Admittedly, it's a bit bigger and heavier than the customary pocket gun. But I carry it okay in a Galco "Front Pocket" holster.

My second favorite: S&W .38 Bodyguard Airweight, in a Kramer pocket holster. It's a good little gun, but I don't shoot it as well as the G26.

I would take a look at some of the following,
Glock 26, 27, 33,
NAA Guardian,
NAA 22Magnum mini-revolver (Keychain pistol if there ever was one),
Bond Arms Texas Defender (the best Deringer),
Downsizer WSP.

Just a few ideas for you.

S&W 442 with Eagle Secret Service grips. It's my second one,I gave my first one to my dad for the same purpose.
I'm pretty much set on autos for defense, butI haven't found anything to beat the 442 for a pocket gun.
It's light, and has an oddball shape to keep the "printing" down.
It hides OK even in jeans.
I keep it loaded with +P 125 jhp's.
Hammerless revolvers can shoot decent groups if you dry fire a lot to get used to the trigger.
I do occaisionally carry a stainless Walther PPK.
My alternate choice-and only if my pants are made of a material that won't hide the 442 is a Walther TPH. Yes, it's a .22, but it beats nothing at all, which is the only alternative if I'm resorting to carrying it anyway. Plus, being a .22, I get a lot of practice with it. Damn, that gun is accurate. In fact, it's almost worth carrying around just to keep it handy to show your buddies how well they shoot.

My favorite pocket/belly gun is the Colt Mustang PocketLite. It only weighs 13ozs empty, 15ozs when loaded. It is slimmer than any of the revolvers listed above, making it more discreet. I carry mine loaded with 90gr HydraShoks.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Kahr MK9 LTD loaded with CorBon 115gr. Carried in the cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster works perfect for me...

Don't laugh, but my most favored carry weapon is a Kel Tec P32. It is extremely small, and no problem to carry whatsoever, so i carry it more than any weapon I have because of convience. I also practice a lot with it. Mostly at 10' and 15' very capable or 8" groups at rapid fire off hand full mag plus one in the pipe. 8 total. Best carry weapon is the one you have with you......

I have found the SIG P239 in .357SIG/.40S&W, with HOGUE rubber grips and HARRTS RECOIL REDUCTION SYSTEM "drop in" to be the most ideal "pocket pistol" on the market. It has very potent caliber choices, comfortably concealed, reliable, and accurate. My second choice would be a 2 1/2" barreled .357/.38 snub nose revolver by SW or COLT. These are also very reliable and accurate from hard hitting calibers. The .380s are deadly but obsolete considering you can get more potent caliber guns in the same package.
Hope my humble advice aids in your quest.
NUFF SAID.

I also like the Sig 239 with the Hogue grip (and night sights). Very sharp carry gun. But regretfully, I don't own it any more. What I like even better is the Sig P232. I just traded in my old two-tone for the new (I guess limited edition) one in stainless with a Hogue grip and night sights. I think it's the sweetest pistol I own. Goatherd, are you asking because you are looking to buy or do you also have a favorite and are keeping us in suspense?

S&W 460 or bodyguard. One or the other goes with me no matter what else I'm carrying. Also the same for my SAK/AFCK/Carnivore.

I'm thinking about the new Keltec .32. It has a pocket/wastband clip like my knives.

Cheers,

ts

S&W 940 is my first choice because in that little stubby barrel the 9mm is better than a .357. If I am wearing light shorts in the summer and the 940 weighs too much, I switch to a S&W mod 38.

My pocket gun is a Kel-Tec P-11 in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Holster. I keep it stoked with Triton Quik-Shok 115 gr. cartridges.

The gun has not malfunctioned with over 300 rounds of mixed ammo. My accuracy at longer distances is not that great right now. I'm considering buying the trigger shoe to see if that helps.

The gun holds 10+1 rounds and fits nicely in loose pockets.

Axel

I own the KelTec P-32. Great little gun. Granted, the .32 is not a record stopper, but the first rule is to have a gun at all and mine is 100% reliable and has good combat accuracy. Excellent for it's intended purpose. I carry mine behind a cheap ballistic nylon wallet in my back pocket loaded with Silvertips. No printing and easy draw. I believe in the KelTec products and also own a P-11 9mm, my primary carry pistol. Also a great little carry gun.

Axle Yup - What did the Mitch Rosen pocket holster set you back? How long did you have to wait for it? I have heard they are excellent.

Pilate- in answer to your question, "Am I looking to buy or have a favorite and just keeping you in suspense." Actually, looking to buy. However since I posted, I was talking with a couple of the folks down at the local shooting range, and one of them pulled out a Derriger 9mm in a wallet holster. I was floored. Granted , he admited he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it at 20 yards (and he is a competition shooter) , but what senerio are you really looking at in a CC situation? Up close and personal.

And that wallet holster was the best. That would make it almost idiotic NOT to carry. Much easier than any other holster situation I have ever seen. Almost zero chance of being spotted by someone who would just be scared, yet you always have a piece with you.

As much as I would like more than two shots and some more accuracy, I think this is what I am leaning towards with a full size gun in the truck.

- the Goatherd

PS. I found the Derringer in .40 this weekend and bought it. It kicks like a mother, but it is neat to have around. Now I just have to get the wallet holster somewhere.

In a search on the internet some time back, I saw a wallet holster where the gun was somehow mounted inside the frame of the holster. Seems like the grips were replaced by this square (wallet shaped) plastic frame which also held a few extra bullets (I think). I can't even remember what type of gun it was for :(. I've searched and searched and can't find it again. Does anyone have any idea what this might be and where I could find it?

Also, Rosco you mentioned the Downsizer WSP. Do you or anyone else have any experience with it. It looks like a neat little pocket gun, but it seems kind of expensive. Also you never see them, and I hate to order something I've never seen or held. I like the fact that it's DA but not the single shot part.

One more question. If you were buying a derringer or pocket revolver and were 99 and 44/100 percent sure you would only shoot .38s in it, would you still go with the .357 just in case. I'm sure it would be REAL painful to shoot a derringer in .357.

------------------
"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." Daniel Webster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back