What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
They told me in Vietnam that my M16 was made by Mattel.

Actually, that was a common phrase used by many troops who didn't like the M16. We even called them Mattel 16s. After all, we were't issued cleaning kits at first.

That shooting .38 Special in .357 Magnum revolvers leaves the chambers in a state that causes trouble with subsequent chambering of .357 Mag ammo.

That ain't a myth. Granted it takes a lot of 38 ammo fired in a 357 chamber, but it does cause buildup in the front of the chamber that will eventually prevent longer 357 brass to fully chamber.

This is true with any firearm that will shoot multiple length ammo. I have a 1950's Marlin 39 that the previous owner apparently shot a LOT of 22 shorts in. A 22 Long Rifle will no longer chamber. It can be cleaned, but will take some work on my part.

You can save money handloading.....

until you find out how many cool toys and books are out there!!

Plus, then you think, "heck, I can buy another gun! I will get the dies, and think how much money I will save!" repeat.

When using an aperture rear sight, your aiming eye centers the front sight in the center of the aperture field of view.

I have a 1950's Marlin 39 that the previous owner apparently shot a LOT of 22 shorts in. A 22 Long Rifle will no longer chamber. It can be cleaned, but will take some work on my part.
Pick up some Stingers - or any other HyperVelocity .22lr that uses a 33 grain bullet & a slightly longer case than a .22lr.

Fire a few out of another gun & save the spent cases.

Push the spent cases into the chamber & they will scrape out a lot of the crud.
It's the same thing as shoving a spent .357 mag case into a dirty chamber left by shooting .38 spls.

You can save money handloading.....

until you find out how many cool toys and books are out there!!

Plus, then you think, "heck, I can buy another gun! I will get the dies, and think how much money I will save!" repeat.
I have always said you "reload" to save money. You "handload" to make premium ammunition not available over the counter.

I can't think of a favorite myth not politically fueled right now (this thread is supposed to induce a light chuckle, right) so I'll steer this in a slightly different direction:

Some manufacturers' marketing schemes are a little odd. Example 1: "Aggressive grip texture". When I read this I picture the grip angrily balling its fists and insulting me. I don't want that. I also chuckle at the "Special Forces" trim level stamped on guns. Can someone out there in the websphere find a special forces unit that uses Caniks?

I think they say "aggressive grip texture" because if they said "cheesegrater" it wouldn't sell as well.

I think. now, that one should draw a line between advertising slogans and claims (true or untrue) and "firearms myths" like "shotgun, no need to aim" or ".45 hit in the pinky knocks a man down" type BS.

One of the things I see often these days, which irritates me, isn't a myth, but an implied thing though some fools do actually state it directly.

Lots of people (or the ones that type, anyway) favor very heavy for caliber bullets. 300gr+ for .44s and .45 pistols or 180s for .357s. This is fine, except some imply that the standard bullet weights 158, 240/250gr aren't good enough, and some seem to think they are useless.

No question the uber heavy bullets do work. I just hate the implication that less than that doesn't.

. No question the uber heavy bullets do work. I just hate the implication that less than that doesn't.

Wait... my 300gn 9mm loads at 200fps will drop a T-rex. No standard 9mm load comes close.

Back