What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

Bart B.

Here's mine:

Cartridge case heads are held against the breech face by the extractor while the firing pin fires the primer.

What's yours?

Being a .50 owner, my favorite is the one about. 50 rounds. It goes like this, if the bullet comes within a foot of your head/arm/body part, it will tear it off!

That "Value priced":

- Imported Makarovs
- Norinco 1911s
- Police trade-in revolvers

exist.

While I'm sure individual specimens of all three can be found - the operative term is "value-priced".

Once upon a time, it was true - but - those days are long gone - - but - the myth is still alive.

-That something called "stopping power" actually exists.

-That caliber actually matters when discussing common service/defense pistols.

-That the 30 Carbine is ineffective.

I especially get a kick out of the various versions of this same M1 Carbine story I've heard countless times...

"My ____ served in ____ and while stationed at ____ they were overrun by the _____ .
My _____ grabbed his M1 Carbine and started firing but the _____ soldier would stop charging, even after my _____ emptied the entire magazine into him.
When his M1 Carbine ran dry he pulled out his .45 and fired one shot which instantly dropped the ____ soldier.
After the battle my _____ walked over to a _____ and smashed his M1 Carbine to bits, vowing to never use it again.
He picked up a discarded _____ and fought with that the rest of the war."

Seasoning barrels

Muzzloading barrels can be seasoned, simular to a cast iron frying pan. … :)

Muzzloading barrels cannot be seasoned, similar to a cast iron frying pan. … :(

Mods; You are welcome delete this reply !!!

Be Safe !!!

That shooting .38 Special in .357 Magnum revolvers leaves the chambers in a state that causes trouble with subsequent chambering of .357 Mag ammo.

Back