What's your favorite AR-15 rife under $2000?

For a 2K spend on AR-15 guns, I could come real close to getting 3 low budget PSA guns in three different calibers.

In truth, I would more likely to just get two, and spend the extra on some decent drop in triggers with enough left over to get a scope for one.

I have a PSA 223 Wilde upper that shoots under 1.5 MOA with budget ammo sitting on any of a several low end lowers. It has never misfed a round and completely satisfied my need to have a 223 / 5.56 capable AR even though I have next to no use for a 223 / 556 gun.

Sorry, but 2K for a 10.3" 5.56 rifle (that will require a stamp) just does not seem worth it to me unless there is a real need for "something special".

That's a lot of money for an AR. I have a few ARs in different configurations, none of which costs more than $700 including optics. True that I share a couple of lowers and optics among a bunch of uppers. They may not be sub sub moa, but mostly slightly under 1moa at 150yd. The worst one is a A2 with government barrel and iron sight, but still less than 2moa.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Seriously, with my personal experience, I'd buy a Palmetto State Armory Freedom series rifle with a LOT of accessories and a bunch of ammo for $2k, since I am not an "operator", nor could I be mistaken for one, even in a bad light, at night in the fog, at 100 yards..
In fact, going to PSA website right now, Daily Deal is;
PSA PA-15 16"Nitride M4 Carbine 5.56 NATO MOE EPT AR-15 Rifle, Black $499.99
MAGPUL MBUS AR-15 IRON SIGHT REAR FLIP UP, BLACK - MAG248-BLK $55.99
SIG SAUER ROMEO5 1X20MM RED DOT SIGHT, BLACK - R52001 $119.99
__________________________________________________ $675.97

That leaves $1,324 for mags and ammo. So, giving yourself 20 MagPul Gen 3 Pmags, the best there are in my opinion, brings it up to 975.77. So, a grand for ammo...
WINCHESTER 5.56 BULK AMMO 55 GR FMJ, 1000RDS - WM1931000 $569.99

And since everyone needs some 855 in thier life;
Winchester M855 5.56 Bulk Ammo 62 Gr FMJ Green Tip 500rds - WM855500 $328.99

Before tax and shipping, total cost is...$1874.75. But with shipping and tax to my locations, total is $ 1,916.24, leaving enough to tqake the missus out for a nice lunch.

Now, again, I am not an expert, an operator, or anything else like that and from my direct personal experience it is REALLY hard to beat PSA for great rifles. You can spend much more, but will you get much more? Some say so. One potential "upgrade" some like is going to PSA Premium line with the "Machinegun steel" barrels. Today's deal shows;
PSA PA-15 16"CHF M4 CARBINE 5.56 NATO PREMIUM CLASSIC AR-15 RIFLE, BLACK $899.99.
Remove the green tips and you still have a high-quality rifle, optics, many magazines and 1000 rounds for $1980.25. Lunch just got downgraded to Wendy's.

Edit to add, sorry, the capitalized sections aren't me yelling, that's cut and paste direct from PSA website.

One of my favorites is my PSA Grendel. I use it all the time. It shoots great and is a pleasure to fire. It's definitely under $2000

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

5.56 is 50-60 cents a round now? Handload is half of that even with today's prices. Perhaps put some of the money to fund loading your own.

-TL

I was using the factory prices as a benchmark, but yes, I reload 5.56mm AND 9mm, even when they are cheap. Just did brass prep on some 5.56mm brass a few minutes ago.

All of them I have built myself, all under $1000. I have never bought a complete rifle and don’t pay any attention to what their features or specs are. I just put together what appeals to me. There is no AR worth $2K.

Many thanks for the recommendations. The PSA AR-15 looks like an amazing value. I wish I lived in a free state. Where I live, I can not buy an AR-15 if it has a heavy barrel or HBAR.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the recommendations. The PSA AR-15 looks like an amazing value. I wish I lived in a free state. Where I live, I can not buy an AR-15 unless it has a heavy barrel or HBAR.
Didn't know such restrictions. Didn't that make the rifle more lethal, if it falls into a wrong hand?

-TL

Ah I didn't know that. I thought I have seen everything living in California. Good grief!

-TL

Buying a Fender Stratocaster won't make you a Rock Star.
John Wick takes a whole lot of training from top shooting instructors.

How much training are you budgeting?

If you get an AR (even a $600 AR ) that holds up to shooting 2000 rounds of training it will probably work fine for as long as you will survive battle.

What else matters?

Lately I've been starting with an Aero upper and lower. I have no reason to distrust an Aero BCG.

I don't buy "bargain" barrels.

Midwest Industries forends ,the slim ones seem pretty good for a reasonable price.

I won't say its the "only" trigger to buy, but cost vs performance, a Rock River NM 2 stage is a good trigger.

Those are sources. Configuration will be whatever I imagine suits my "want".

Which could be anything from a pistol to an SDMR.

I have never bought a complete AR-15.

Tool,you mentioned you do not have many tools. I do buy the proper tools as needed.

Last edited:
Your clear the dd mk18 is A SBR and will require a $200 tax stamp and extra paperwork? As well as that it has a government profile barrel not a heavy barrel?

Last edited:
I would never spend anywhere near that much for an AR-15. A person can buy one for under $500. A person can buy one lower, put a good trigger in it, and then buy multiple uppers.

Nothing on the market has ever appealed to me.
I had to build them all, starting with a pistol.

Two builds went over $1k, but short of $1,600.
The rest were all quite affordable.
I very much like most of what I have.
Would be difficult to pick a favorite.

This is right up there with "what is your idea of a perfect wife (or husband).":D I doubt there is any real consensus possible. I'm big on reliability and simplicity, so one of my favorites falls way outside the large range of AR's I've built. I built a 9mm blowback AR which operates well with bulk 9mm ammo which is always available pretty much no matter what happens in the greater market. I love the simplicity of simple screw on and off CF tube handguard for quick barrel swap-out--I can do this in a matter of seconds anywhere. It's not a true ultralight--but still lighter than all the rest of my ARs. Plinking fun par excellance, pretty much as accurate as 9mm can get.

If you get an AR (even a $600 AR ) that holds up to shooting 2000 rounds of training it will probably work fine for as long as you will survive battle.
?

Lol. Reminds me of a guy showing me his bug out vest and the multiple 30 and 20 rounds mags it held. I think it weighed 70 lbs. I will probably be incapacitated by wounds or dead before I get through a second mag.

Back