Whats you 5.56 pick?

Which 5.56 automatice rifle do you prefer, and why?

• M4/M4A1

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • M16A1/2/3/4

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Hk416

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Hk G36/C

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Sig 552/C

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • AUG A1/2

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • L85 A1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Galil/all variants

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Klashnikov in 5.56

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Ruger AC556

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters
The Stoner system is our system and works well, even though some prefer the AK.

There are some foreign AR's out there that are rechambered to 5.56 for export. The new Chinese 5.8X42, Type 95, is one of them, and I've heard from reliable sources that reliability is an issue in foreign calibers being rechambered for the export market, and particularly the Type 95.

We might be better off rechambering the 5.56 to something like the Russian version than vice versa.

The AR platform with a 16 to 20-inch barrel is about right for me. I think the M4 loses too much with the shorter barrels and a 16" AR/M16 is a well balanced rifle.

You left out the FN FS2000 which I think is a very interesting concept. I tend to think bullpup designs are efficient and this one has a 17-inch barrel.

I have to say the M-16 has the most aftermarket parts around for it so it is hard to beat since you can customize it just the way you like it. However the Sig 550 series and Steyr AUG are really sweet weapons i have to say. The Sig 550 is like the Rolls Royce of AK rifles. The Steyr AUG is still my personal favorite being a full 20" barrel in a very compact package with great balance and extremely comfortable to shoot.

I think Sig 552C is an excellant weapon. I am trying to find one here in PK but they are very hard to come by.

That said, M4 rocks. Very handy and precise weapon.

I dont seem to like bullpups.

I have a SIG 556 (I realize it's not full auto - got other machineguns for that), and tend toward the SIG 5XX series of weapons after owning a couple AR weapons (AR-15, AR-10). I like 30 caliber rounds over 5.56mm for better punch, despite the weight increase. But, the SIG 556 has the accuracy close to the AR weapons but the bolt design of an AK-47 for reliability. The recoil spring is up front, allowing for a folding stock for portability. Plop a nice military grade 4 power scope on top and you have an EXCELLENT shooting, reliable carbine. No gun does everything, but of you are looking for a close to medium range carbine, the SIG has a great set of features. I don't care to hang all kinds of acccessories onto the front and and make an accessorized barbie toy out of a carbine like AR owners tend to do. That adds way too much weight. AK based carbines are more reliable, because of looser tolerances, but the iron sight radius on all AK's is too short for the langer ranges a carbine is capable of. Plus, they are heavier than a carbine needs to be. If you haven't seen SIG 556, go to a sporting goods store like Cabellas and take one apart and look at the guts. You will be suitably impressed. I was, enough to buy one. They are not cheap, but the price is competetive to other options. You should compare the SIG 556 to the Robinson XCR and the Bushmaster ACR (when it becomes available) if you want to consider guns that are similar in design, size, and mission when selecting a new purchase.

Why did you ask the question with most of these being machineguns? Most of these you can't buy as they post 86. Did you mean which is the best in semi auto? Or are you jut trying to figure out which is the best military 5.56 in the world? I like the XCR but it not on your list or full auto. But I wouldn't take it over any legally register machinegun in 5.56.

I pick the one I bought, the Colt M16A1. Full auto. No three round burst ratchet. Any upper configuration or caliber I want.

M16A1.jpg

The Steyr AUG. Bought one about 10 years ago while teaching military stuff in a middle east country. It is still there and I get to use it when my travels take me to that country.

Bought that gun at the souk for less than US $500 because it is set up for left hand use. Arabs are not left handed and it did not sell.

I picked the AC556. Here are the reasons why:

1. Price
2. Factory supported / Factory Refurb available
3. Rugged / durable / reliable
4. Nothing had to be jerry rigged to get it to work in full auto - it was made that way - i.e. no lightning links, DIAS's, or welded bolt carriers
5. Factory 3-round burst.
6. SCAR-QCB stock modernizes the AC556 - a "must have" if you have the AC
7. Betamags are now available for the AC556
8. Heavy barrels and heavy gas blocks available for the AC556.
9. It's made of steel, not recycled beer cans and parts bought out of Shotgun News 30 years ago.

Back