What's wrong with this picture?

aarondhgraham

What's wrong with this picture?

attachment.php

C'mon gentlemen,,,
Ten Brownie points to the first who sees it.

Aarond

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 712
Well it does appear to be a model 70, based on the safety & bolt handle, but I can't tell if that's a DBM as I'm not that familiar with Winchester M-70's.
Other than that what am I missing ?? :confused:

I will say however, I always thought they used a Remington 700 in 7.62x51 NATO, or an M-14 as depicted in a show on the History Channel.

Carlos Hathcock ??

Last edited:
Pre 64 M70 rifles is what the Marines mainly used in Vietnam. The M700 came much later after there was a competition for contract to build the USMC sniper rifle. Yes the seriously screwed the spelling of his name. Winchester did make some NH M70 Classics with DBM.

That does not look anything like what we used. I was Marines and Army. The Marines had these really heavy barreled M-70's. Parkerized with a heavy forearm and dull wood. The barrel was free floating. 5-6 years later I was in the Army. I did not deal with sniper rifles much, but I seem to remember they were Remingtons.
I could be wrong there. It kind of sticks in my mind because the shotguns were just the opposite. Army used Winchester shotguns and the Marines used Remingtons.

I'm thinking I read in the book Marine Sniper his rifle was a model 70 Winchester 30-06 target rifle in a lightweight wood stock and his ammo was hand loaded for him. It's been awhile since I read it tho.

He did carry an M14 but he just used whatever BMG was available wherever he went. He swapped the Unertl scope off his sniper rifle onto a BMG with a mount I believe he designed or redesigned.

That certainly looks likes a detachable box magazine. I have no idea if that scope existed during the Vietnam War. It appears to have a sporter barrel rather than the heavier barrel of the sniper rifle. But, it appears to have a Picatinny rail, and I don't think the Picatinny rail existed at that time.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the angle of the photo (or the angle of my eyes :o), but the trigger guard appears to have the shape of a Remington.

It's a dumb 50 picture and 50 answer internet quiz. A lot of the pictures and answers aren't relevant to the question being asked at the time.

It kind of sticks in my mind because the shotguns were just the opposite. Army used Winchester shotguns and the Marines used Remingtons.

The Marines used the Remington 870 and the Army the Winchester 1200. The Marines got the better deal. ;)

(just my opinion, but I think the Army stuck with Winchester because of the good results they historically had with the Win 97 and Model 12. Compared to them, and compared to the Rem 870, the Win 1200 is ...inferior. Its not a total POS, but it has flaws the others don't)

As to the M2HB, If I remember correctly there's a picture of one with the scope on it in one of the books about Hathcock. might be "Marine Sniper 93 comfirmed kills" but its been ages since I read it, and am not sure of the title anymore.

Many VietNam era M2s had a rear sight base made to accept the mount for a night sight (infrared I heard, never saw one in use). It's quite possible to have an adaptor fabbed to use the existing sightbase to mount a conventional scope. Alternately, the M2 rear sight is mounted with large screws, and it would only be a few minutes work with a screwdriver to replace the issue sight with a custom made scope base, and switch back when finished.

I took that internet quiz a while back, and yes, besides outright mistakes, the pictured firearm often has only a slight connection to the answer, or additional data in the answer.

Safety and bolt handle say Mauser. All the shiney bits say commercial hunting rifle and nothing whatever to do with any military. Internet quiz's are written by people who rarely have seen a real firearm.
"...Y'all people know more..." Your local public library will fix that. You'll be amazed at how much firearm related stuff libraries have.
"..."Marine Sniper 93 confirmed..." Yep. I used to have it in my library. Loaned it to somebody and never got it back. I think. It was a regular issue Unertl scope on a regular .50 BMG.

Back