What's Wrong With The SIG 226?

SIG P226

Negatives:

Although I have size 8.5 hands, the grip size doesn't bother me that much, but DA trigger is a long reach (short triggers are available, aftermarket and factory).

Standard blue finish on the slide wore with repeated holstering as a duty weapon, but did not rust (K-Kote, nickel and balckened stainless are available).

Positives:

Although it does not match the trigger feel of my P229, the 226 trigger is better than any non-1911 auto-pistol I have shot (Glock, HK, S&W).

So controllable it is scary; raggedy holes galore!

Reliable as hell; out performed the M9 during JSSAP trials. Standard sidearm for SEALs and Secret Service.

No external safety lever to get in the way.

Fit and finish is unlike no other.

I can go one for days...

Martowski- I've shot both Sigs and CZ-75 ( I own a matte nickeled CZ-75B. I much prefer the CZ myself. CZ's are very high quality pistols, extremely accurate and mine has never had a jam in 9mm ( I have the .22 conversion kit for it and that jams once in a while). I never liked the sig series much because of the thickness, the CZ's are much thiner and not so blocky. You can still get high cap mags from the factory for $45 too! I think the Sigs are lighter though because they have alloy frames to the CZ's steel. Sigs aren't bad guns I just think they are kind of well...ummm.. unatractive stamped steel thingies.. They are as good as a CZ-75 in accuracy (at least the 220 I shot was) and have nice triggers too but I totally reccomend the CZ-75... If you get one in your hand you will buy it. The grip shape feels fantastic like the gun grew in your hand. Really get your hands on both and you'll pick the CZ.

Heck even dyed in the wool 1911 fanatic J. Coop..something said it was the best pistol out there (excepting his beloved 1911 of course)

shiro

I guess I will be the first to stick my neck out and say;
other than the Sig P210, the P220 (.45ACP), P226 (any caliber), and the P228 (9m/m) are defintiely among the
finest shoot'in irons that man has made, or that money
can buy!!!:D:) We are talking here about out of the
box
shooter's; not some $2,000.00 custom job!!!:eek:
To quote another poster, "I've never met a Sig "P" series
firearm that I didn't like".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Beretta and SIG took turns besting each other in different areas at different points in the JSSAP trials and tribulations. Some SIGs cracked frames between 5000-10,000 rounds for example, but it didn't count since the contract service life was only 5000. At one point the SIG was averaging a stoppage every 1000 rounds, the Beretta every 2000, the reference 1911 every 450. All of em are way beyond that now. The SIG P228 had one stoppage in 15,000 rounds (5000 x 3 guns) in the M11 trials and the Beretta is up to one stoppage in 30,000+ rounds (over 165,000 rounds in 12 guns) in the random tests they do from time to time.

The SIGs are, and always will be, among the best. I do see more and more US Marshals, DEA, FBI,INS/BP, Customs, etc going from SIG to Glock/HK every day though. Time marches on?

I have both the SIG P226 and CZ75 in 9mm. Both are excellent choices in my book and equal options with the following exceptions:

1.If your decision comes down to lowest price, get the CZ75, and you will not be disappointed with your choice.

2.Nothing compares to the trigger of a SIG out of the box, and the P226 trigger is exceptional. The trigger on the CZ75 is not bad, but if you compare the P226 and CZ75 trigger pulls, you'll find yourself taking the P226 home. SIG has no peer in this area, and I've always been somewhat baffled when folks have trigger jobs done on SIG's.

Both guns are a little too large for concealed carry in my opinion, but terrific for the range, home protection, etc. If you're looking for something to carry concealed, have a look at the P229 and P228..........Dan in GA

The P226 is a fantastic handgun. If you want a 9mm it is a winner. They were engineered for the high cap magazines. In this day of 10 round mags the P226 is a little big. Scounge some decent 15 rounders and love it.

Bad point about the Sig P226 -

Old or new?

As was mentioned, the older stamped slides would show considerable holster wear with the blueing rubbed off. The same goes for the K-kote.

I have had a new P226 in .40 for about 6 months, in and out of the holster every day. Still looks as good as new, while the old was was showing wear at the same age.

Get a new one and never look back, they are fantastic shooters!

Do the year 2000 sig 226 blue wear off as easy as the earlier year sig 226?

Did sig correct the crack frame problem in the new sig 226s?

Are the year 2000 sig 226s made better than the earlier ones?

There is just one thing I don't like about my 226 and that is the transition between DA first shot and SA for every following shot.

The Best!

I was issued a P226 at my first PD, it was an older Tysons Corner gun, beat to hell, and just plain abused, but never a jam. I put around two hundred reloads through it weeklly on average.

Its also one of the fastest cycling handguns there is.

My current employer issues me a G23, but as soon as I go off duty, on goes the Sig.

the 229 was my 1st high cap 9mm, it's almost as accurate as my P7, there have been very few changes made:

the blue wore off from my seatbelt rubbing across the top. i had TNT apply a coating of electroless nickel.

i had the original trigger replaced with the shorter factory trigger for more control

i put on a pair of hogue grips as soon as he made a pair for the 226, they seem to work better in the rain.

it's still my favorite duty gun

I don't own a SIG, but I have owned a CZ75. It is the only auto I owned that had a serious failure to fire. I was halfway through a magazine when the gun simply locked up tight.... I could not pull the trigger, drop the hammer under control or pull back the slide. It took quite a bit of careful work dismantling the gun to eventually discover what had happened. The large-headed screw that secures the trigger spring had come loose. (This screw is plainly visible over and in front of the trigger inside the frame when the slide is removed). When the screw started to come loose, it jammed the slide. This is not an uncommon failure on the earlier CZ75's...I can't say if it applies to the newer model CZ75's or 85's.
I secured the screw using loctite...it came loose again, same result.
On the positive side, it was quite accurate, and did feel very good in my (smallish) hands.
I traded it for a Browning HP.
My next purchase is a SIG P226 chambered for .357sig. :)
Mike

I just picked up a new all German made 226 in 9mm...out of all the 9mm guns I was looking at,the 226 felt the best in my hands....I cant wait to shoot it !! Good luck,Take care..

Back