What's Wrong With The SIG 226?

Martowski

I, like many of you, am always considering another gun purchase at any given time. Right now, I'm thinking about another 9mm. Last night, I started thinking about different models and realized that, while you hear a lot of positives about almost every gun on the market from at least a few people, some guns generate a low number of negative comments. So, I started thinking of this: have I ever heard anything negative about the SIG 226? I can't recall if I have.

Anyway, what would you people list as "negatives" to the SIG 226? Besides price, what are the reasons that someone would choose another decocking double action 9mm over a SIG? Yes, if you don't like decockers you might not buy one, but all in all, isn't the 226 the best in its class?

Its kind of big. Its boring as anything cause it never jams.
I traded mine for a 228 because it was plain old too big for me but I am a little guy.

Like they said it's big... it also has a fairly high sight/bore axis which doesn't fee as comfy to me.

Those are the only 'bad' things I know of, it is a very nice gun and I did enjoy shooting it.

The only negative thing that I can think of regarding the P226 is the fact that they must receive a lot of TLC!!!:D
They are too damn expensive to be left unattended, ignored,
and not used.:) As a matter of fact, if I could teach the 226 to cook and clean the house; hell, I probably would
marry it.:rolleyes::eek:

Now seriously, as with any other autoloader the P226 needs
to be kept clean; free of dirt and debris. And with a little
light lubrication of "Break Free CLP", it will last you a lifetime.:):D I've had my two tone model since November 96;
and it has always functioned flawlessly. It is currently resting comfortably among the like's of my beloved Sig P220A
and the always trustworthy P228; not to be out distanced by
my BHP Practical 9m/m.:p:rolleyes::eek::D:)

Best Wishes For Happy Holidays To Everyone,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Okay, some of you have brought up the issue of size. I am not a large guy myself. I'm about 5' 9", 165 lbs. I have fairly small hands. The Beretta 92 series is way to large for me. I enjoy the feel of my Browning Hi-Power and the CZ-75. Is the grip of the 226 overly large? I guess I should take a look at one myself soon.

So, here's another question. Would you consider the CZ-75BD to be in the same class as the SIG 226? If you needed to grab a handgun for defensive use and you could choose between the two, which would it be and why? I only ask because the CZ-75 has a good reputation, and adding a decocker (while viewed as a step in the wrong direction by many) would make it similar in function to a SIG 226, correct?

Greetings Again:

With all due respect, I have never owned ANY CZ handguns.
The Sig-Sauer P226 incorporates what is known in the gun
circles, as the "European Grip"; differing slightly from
the "American Grip" of the P220. The P226 grip will fit
all but the smallest hands really well.

From reading post here at TFL, I'm sure the CZ line are
quality pistols; however I would choose the Sig P226 each
and every time, due to one important word RELIABILITY. They work, time and time again; with
out malfunctioning. And as another poster pointed out in
a previous thread; you very rarely ever find a lemon in a
Sig-Sauer handgun. So, in closing yes the price is worth
it; if you desire a autoloader with craftsmanship in mind
before the name goes on, and if you feel like your life is
worth a few extra dollars!!!:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

p226

Martowski,

First off, I apologize, I will not be able to comment on the CZ75 because I do not own one. However, I have held/shot one at the local range (owner was kind enough to let me put some down the tube). As far as I could see, the CZ75 is an excellent firearm and well made.

My experiences with the P226 are a lot more than that of the CZ75. I find that my P226 fits my hand very well, however not as well as my P228. In my opinion the SINGLE problem that I face with the Sigs (especially the ones with stamped steel slides) is their fragile bluing. If you holster the weapon the finish will begin to wear off in no time. I have noticed this with my P228 and those of other Sig owners.

I tend to agree with Ala Dan, as with all autoloaders the P226/all sigs need to be kept clean for utter reliability.

I also agree with cobraman, the Sigs are boring. They will run like clock-work! I have YET to have any of my Sigs malfunction in ANY MANNER. I cannot say that about my HK USP and most definately about my Glock. Absolutely nothing wrong with the HK or Glock, but I have found that MY Sigs will keep on ticking. Tick tick tick.

Blah,
Jim

The P226 grip isn't any larger than the CZ-75.

If you keep it reasonably clean and feed it half-decent ammo, it will be extremely reliable. I believe the newer Nitron finish will wear much better than the earlier bluing (really rust prone) or the K-kote (quite rust resistant but chips easily).

If you decide to go for it, you won't be disappointed as you may guess from the above posts. Your friends might have put up with your sh!t eating grinn for quite a while, though.

only 2 bad things to say about the 226

I don't yet have one :D

the 226, like all wondernine pistols, are way to large if you're stuck with 10rd mags...

well, lets make it 3 bad things ;)
the boss has not approved my purchase of one yet, something about Christmas presents and such nonsense :D

-----------
North Mississipi ain't supposed to be the frozen tundra!

Try the 226 in .40! Very controllable and accurate...It's the perfect size for the caliber. Extremely reliable. You can also buy a .357 sig barrel for it if you'd like. I bought one w/nitron finish this year and love it!

So, would it be a safe statement to say that if someone were in the market for a double action decocking 9mm, the SIG 226 would be the best choice?

Sigs are among the best semi autos. In fact, it was the first 9mm I had the chance to shoot.

I prefer the HK USP line to the Sigs. At least give them a look, hold them both. What fits you best is the best for you. If you don't like the safety/decock, you can always change the variant to decock-only.

Nothing is "wrong" with them.

They are very accurate and reliable. They are not as durable and rust resistant as some others, but they are far from "fragile". The USN SEALS bought 2500 more of them in 1999 (along w 1500 more Berettas BTW). The Brit SAS use them.

That said, the Baltimore County PD found cracks in the slide/frames of 52 of their 1400 guns (switched to the sig pro in 40 IIRC). Nobody is perfect.

I think the SIG, Beretta, CZ, Glock, HK, S&Ws, FN, Walther and Rugers (yep) are all fine tools if you are a craftsman.

Back