What's with all the High Powers?

What do you bet we'll have the FN before we see any from Springfield??!!

Bet what ever you want, you've already lost. A friend of mine has one of the SA-35s right now. I've handled it. :D

SA-35 has been out on the street for at least a month. The FN is a pig and Tisas wouldn't be on my radar. I'm not much of a Springfield fan but that's the one to go with. They've made some needed, subtle updates without going overboard.

Classic design, easy to get into production. Gives them something new without a lot of engineering, design and work. Cost and time effective, but with a higher profit margin.

Makes great business sense. The market is ready for some new higher end pistols. With Browning ceasing production in 2018, the prices of Hi-Powers soared in 2020 and 2021.

MSRP @ $699.00 but, you will pay more.

What do you bet we'll have the FN before we see any from Springfield??!!
Yep, just another bet you would lose. I really hate to mention this but the MSRP is listed at $699.00. Currently if you can even come close to one, you will definitely pay more then that. I am frugal enough to say that I seldom pay retail for just about anything. If I can find one have have to eat my words. ...... ;)

Time is not always, on our side :mad:
Be Safe !!!

Classic design, easy to get into production. Gives them something new without a lot of engineering, design and work. Cost and time effective, but with a higher profit margin.

Makes great business sense. The market is ready for some new higher end pistols. With Browning ceasing production in 2018, the prices of Hi-Powers soared in 2020 and 2021.

Browning didn’t make them. FN made them, Browning was merely the importer. FN chose to cease production. There’s a degree of irony here that FN is responding to other manufacturers offering Hi Power variants by bringing in their own reimagining of the product they had stopped making. It’s a market that FN themselves opened when they practically had a monopoly. If anyone could make the original it should be FN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing that's with all the freaking 1911s.

Good gun, good design, so everyone wants a piece of the action.

SA-35 has been out on the street for at least a month. The FN is a pig and Tisas wouldn't be on my radar. I'm not much of a Springfield fan but that's the one to go with. They've made some needed, subtle updates without going overboard.
Absolutely agree 100% with this.

Mike Irwin said:

Same thing that's with all the freaking 1911s.

Good gun, good design, so everyone wants a piece of the action.
Plus any patents attaching to the design expired years ago, so anyone can copy it ... legally.

The Tisas has been out for years. I photographed it at the SHOT Show at least three years ago, maybe more.

Here it is -- SHOT Show 2017:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2017-01-18 12.40.02.jpg
    2017-01-18 12.40.02.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 821
Don't forget Girsan.
And Longthorne (announced.)
And PSA (Announced, but off their www pretty quickly, along with the 1910 repro.)

If we had other options like a light weight grip frame and a shorter barrel this platform would go beyond the 1911.

I know the aluminum grip frames were made and they did crack, but it's nothing a modern engineer couldn't make work.

Carry guns are the big sellers. These full size all steel guns are just nice to have.

Maybe, despite all the 'it's too different, it's too heavy' complaints here, FN has seen the market for premium, modernized versions of other pistols, which is likely more accurately indicative of the actual market for this new gun:

p320-carry-axg-web-left_1.jpg

320axg-classic-web-left.jpg

wgfedayerqwyeat3t.jpg

Walther-PPQ-Q5-SF-LS_2830001_L.png

PDP-5__FS_LS.png

hg3774g-n_r_1.png

I suppose if everyone here were right- "It doesn't look like the original", "They changed it too much" and "It's too heavy", these would be littering dealer's shelves, marked-down and dusty.

Hmmmmm.....

Larry

Maybe, despite all the 'it's too different, it's too heavy' complaints here, FN has seen the market for premium, modernized versions of other pistols, which is likely more accurately indicative of the actual market for this new gun:

p320-carry-axg-web-left_1.jpg

320axg-classic-web-left.jpg

wgfedayerqwyeat3t.jpg

Walther-PPQ-Q5-SF-LS_2830001_L.png

PDP-5__FS_LS.png

hg3774g-n_r_1.png

I suppose if everyone here were right- "It doesn't look like the original", "They changed it too much" and "It's too heavy", these would be littering dealer's shelves, marked-down and dusty.

Hmmmmm.....

Larry

Except the pistols pictured weren’t in production in their current form since 1935 and didn’t have a version as old as the Hi Power did. The Hi Powers that have been brought to market are in part popular, imo, because they offer a classic pistol at an affordable price. If someone wants a modern, metal framed pistol there are already a number of choices. At the same time the new FN High Power likely isn’t classic enough to appeal to purists and is notably more expensive (by almost a factor of 2) than some other models that have been brought to market. I acknowledge this pistol may yet be successful, but I don’t think all of the criticism is unfounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FN discontinues the High Power.
SA revives it and makes the changes people wanted like no mag disconnect and addressing hammer bite; based on demand that is what people wanted.
FN sees demand but apparently doesn't want to make the same thing SA now makes, so they changed it, slide is different.

Back