• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Whats up with all the locked threads????

Mentioning how much you like Glocks

Is a good way of getting a thread locked :D

I think the Mods wait to see if a thread is going some where, or just going nowhere or as someone said, it turns political or into an insult-a-thon :eek: or just plain gets too silly & pointless :rolleyes:

People who push too many buttons too often get the dreaded PM from the Mod God, after that, I dont know what happens? A bolt of lightening zaps out of your screen and hits you between the eyes? your keyboard turns to mush? Dunno.... best just not to push mods buttons, remember, they have to put up with alot of doo doo all day long.... I dont blame them for being a bit short/quick to lock... but generally, they are pretty right on the money :D

He he I have seen some locked threads that have been delete, examples um, "girls with guns", and when mastercast went off the deep end. . . what was that thread called again? Hilarious anyway, everyone gets a good laugh over watching a P!ssing match from the sidelines, to bad TFL is against it:rolleyes:

Anyway in the case of the locked thread you can usually see why. When you click on a thread and read the question, you want to reply to it. But sometimes the conversation has gone so far off it would take you a half an hour to really get the gist of what they are talking about now, because it has nothing to do with the original question.

masterhunter,

I should add that sometimes, basically-good members who have no track record of acting poorly on TFL go off the deep end for some unknown reason. Maybe they just got drunk one night, or maybe their wife left 'em and their dog died and they lost their job. Maybe they just had a really bad day. Whatever. In those cases, if the misbehavior only happens once, and the member has been a good contributing member for more than a little while, instead of banning them outright we might choose a different route. We might instead delete the member's ugly posts, and perhaps close a thread or two they derailed, and drop them a note telling 'em not to do it again. Mind you, we don't have to do it that way, but sometimes we do. The member, once he's sobered up or otherwise recovered, usually appreciates it.

That's not common, but it does happen.

And sometimes when other members stumble across the scars from such a cleanup, they wonder what's going on. They might even suspect that the moderators have gone crazy and gotten mean -- not realizing that the closed/deleted stuff is evidence of moderator kindness, rather than evidence of moderator meanness.

pax

The only question I have is why some threads aren't locked sooner. I happen to enjoy the fact that the mods are so active in keeping the junk out. The only improvement to the site I would suggest is a section for normal b.s. that we can all interact on appropriately that does not have to be gun related. Other then that The mods seem to be doing a good job and I have no issues with them.

"The only question I have is why some threads aren't locked sooner."

Well, a couple of reasons.

1. We're volunteer, we don't get paid, which means that many, if not all of us, have jobs that we have to perform. I'm fortunate in that my job allows me to be on quite often during the day.

2. We have other life issues that require our attention so we're not always here. Like right now. I'm trying to replace my car before the current one goes TU. Last night I was checking dealerships and doing test drives. I was totally gone between 4:30 and nearly 1 a.m.

3. It's a judgement call on the moderator's part. But, rest assured, no matter when a moderator decides to pull the trigger, there are always people who either think the trigger was pulled too soon, too late, or that it shouldn't have been pulled at all.

We occasionally hear from those who aren't happy with us that threads are being closed.

Their vision differers from what TFL is, and they don't like that one bit. I've gone hammer and tong a couple of times with people who are bound and determined to make the mods see, and do, things their way.

In short, that's not going to happen, because we do things one way, and only one way -- Rich Lucibella's way. Rich provides the guidance and framework for what TFL is, what TFL should be, and how TFL operates, and we moderators do our best to support that. As I told someone a few weeks ago -- there has to be a TFL baseline, and Rich is the holder of that baseline.

They're mods, not gods... they can't be everywhere.

Gozer: [after Ray orders her to re-locate] Are you a God?
[Ray looks at Peter, who nods]
Dr Ray Stantz: No.
Gozer: Then... DIE!
[Lightning flies from her fingers, driving the Ghostbusters to the edge of the roof and almost off; people below scream]
Winston Zeddemore: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"! Dr. Peter Venkman: All right! This chick is TOAST!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087332/quotes

Are proton packs destructive devices? Anyway, I agree with the analyses of the other gods - uh - mods.

williamson-:D

Cool vid.

The internet is a wild place.

The mods actually help keep this forum alive by controlling the extent of the discussions.

+1 HellBilly (post 25)

Maybe it would be fun if the mods created a 'silly slot' where posts that are harmless (not spam or super rediculous, or been done to death) can be moved to, so when us TFL surfers get frustrated/bored (never) or we just want a good laugh, we can go look in this section (perhaps called the 'X files, or Garbage Can' or something :D

Trouble is, probably most of my threads would go straight into there :eek:

Call it the Dingo file? :D

cracked91 said:
Hilarious anyway, everyone gets a good laugh over watching a P!ssing match from the sidelines, to bad TFL is against it

It's too bad people don't understand why we're against it.:(

Mike Irwin said:
In short, that's not going to happen, because we do things one way, and only one way -- Rich Lucibella's way. Rich provides the guidance and framework for what TFL is, what TFL should be, and how TFL operates, and we moderators do our best to support that. As I told someone a few weeks ago -- there has to be a TFL baseline, and Rich is the holder of that baseline.

And with that, the bar is raised. It's raised as such that when Staff holds our fellow members accountable to retain the higher level of standards it ruffles some feathers. We're called "holier than thou", "snobs", or any other similar stereotype. That's fine by me. I see it if a member resorts to this opinion, he/she doesn't really agree nor understand Rich's vision and why Staff runs a relatively tight ship. Birds of a feather...

Back