Whats the tastiest wild animal ?

MTAA, from what I've seen, head shots with a .357 or bigger do just fine. Our own TFLer Rob killed one with a knife during a Texas hunt, with dogs finding and holding the boar. As I recall his story, it was in the 160-pound range...

And, yup, they are indeed tasty critters.

:), Art

What size boar are the best tasting?

I have heard 50-60lb but am going on a pig hunt soon for the first time and would like some more meat.

regards,

Olazul

I had a friend, well, not really. Ok, so there was this guy I knew who grew up in Hawaii (he was natvie). And they had ferral hogs that lived out in the tropical forests. And they'd go out (this was common practice over there) With like 10-30 guys, all ages, even young boys, with knives and spears, and they'd drive the hogs out of the brush, and spear or stab them to death. Then they'd go have a community hog roast. Sounds like a barrel of fun to me, even if a little on the dangerous side :)

Best is Slowenian wild boar. Not too much corn or potatoes, they have
to eat all the woods offer.

But I'll take a Swiss Wild boar too, anytime. There's more meat on
them. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by olazul:
What size boar are the best tasting?

I have heard 50-60lb but am going on a pig hunt soon for the first time and would like some more meat.

regards,

Olazul
[/quote]

For the feral pigs out in west Texas and hill country where I hunt, the rule is no more than about 100 lbs or about knee height. Any bigger and the meat is kind of, well, stinky. I've taken all of mine with a .25-06, hitting them right behind and below the ear- drops 'em like a sack. The meat is dandy as roasts, cutlets or sausage (german, country pan, or italian- whatever you like). I've never had any of mine cured so I can't speak to that.

Javelina are a different story. The big ones (~50 lbs, maybe) are nasty to clean and the meat takes a low yield nuclear weapon to cook thoroughly. It doesn't taste bad at all, just tough. One thing that great philosopher, engineer, racecar driver, and TFL moderator Art Eatman :p implied in his post about javelina is that it's necessary to shoot the shoats to get that tender meat, and that point is well taken.

Dang, Art, you're right, it's about time to go huntin'. But not all of us are lucky enough to live in South Brewster!

Good eating,
Kurt

Back