What's the smallest compact 9mm out there?

There are several brands of pants of the market now that have big pockets(Dockers, Structure).

I've carried an MK9, and a Glock 33 in my pocket with no problems in drawing attention. A little ingenuity in the selection of your clothing is all that is required.

You are correct there Ingob...

Sticking to the subject,
Kahr MK9 is the smallest 9mm currently available.
Kel-Tec P11 is the lightest 9mm currently available.
In a year or two, the Kahr MP9 will be both.

I'm thinking of introducing 9mm loaded rounds with primers omitted and replaced with fuses.
Pocket full of em with a Zippo would be the ABSOLUTE lightest 9mm around.

"What's the smallest compact 9mm out there?

If you need a pistol that will fit in your pants pocket I am afraid you will have to stick with the small .25 acp or .32acp. Bear in mind that very small pistols that are double action only are extremely difficult to hit anything with. I have an expensive Seecamp .32 that has an amazingly smooth double action pull but never the less although it is an accurate pistol off of sand bags when actually shooting it in a draw and shoot situation I usually miss silhouette targets as close as 7 yards. With a single action pistol I hit silhouette targets up to 100 yards away.
If you are looking for a low priced, reliable, accurate and small single action 9mm, look around for a used Star starfire 9mm (Star is out of buisness). It is about the same size as a Walther or sig .380 (The sig and walther by the way are excellent and comfortable carring pieces). The Star has a beveled magazine well, white dot sights, checkered front and back strap, ambidextreus saftey, all steel construction and rubber grips. There is one fly in the ointment. No gun is perfect and the Star is quite heavy at 30 ounces. But this in a way is also a virtue. The gun is absolutely controllable even in rapid fire. Try shooting a light weight sig .380 or kel tech plastic pistol in rapid fire and you will see the difference in the grouping on your target. Use the Star in an in the waist holster and it will dissappear even under nothing but a lose fitting shirt. If you want a light weight gun you might prefer the sig .380 at only 16 ounces. W.R.

Until the Kahr P9 sounds in...

Just to add fuel to the fire, there's a bunch of police trade-in Kahr K9's that have been popping up here and there, and the gun is indeed authorized by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for duty carry. I have to disagree with JT's assessment, my own used trade-in K9 has been exceptionally reliable, albeit rough-looking until I get a chance to parkerize it. I have, however, seen Kel-Tecs jam, there's even a .mpg video of one doing so as they're trying to destroy a MacIntosh computer on the Web.

When I bought my Kel-Tec, I didn't even look at the Kahr but after reading this thread, I checked out their web page and it is indeed smaller than the Kel-Tec although it is by a very small amount. I have owned the Kel-Tec for about a week now and have fired a couple hundred 124 grain handloads through it with one failure of the slide to go into battery; that was within the first mag or so. I fired between 50 and 100 rounds the first day I got it, then I shot it a second time yesterday with at least 100 rounds. I did a little speed run yesterday on a steel plate firing the mag as fast as I could and still ensure hits then doing a speed reload with a second mag and emptying it. I did this about three times after I fired a half dozen mags at paper. The gun functioned flawlessly, dispite the fact that I have yet to clean or lubricate it. I haven't purchased a holster yet, so I have been carrying it in my back pocket for several days now. I went to a restraunt last night followed by a baseball game and had no problem. I suppose if you wanted to, you could carry it like that indefinitely but I certainly think you would be more comfortable and safer with at least a pocket holster. I was going to see how I liked the gun before I spent any more money on the project. I purchased it pretty much by accident. I was shopping for a defensive handgun for my girlfriend. I saw the Kel-Tec and remembered hearing good things about them. She didn't like it because she couldn't put her whole hand on the grip, so I bought it for myself. We are allowed to have two guns on our CCW and my hot weather gun was a Colt Mustang in .380. This 9mm is only slightly larger and holds more ammo. It is also lighter weight. I am happy with mine so far.

Forget pocket carry. Get a Glock 19. Then buy a good holster and dress accordingly. You'll be much happier and more accurate. IMHO.

Back