whats the purpose of extended chokes????

whitearrow

good afternoon fellas. i was just wondering exactly what is the purpose of aftermarket extended chokes? the reason for my inquiry is i just bought a franchi affinity 20ga and was planning on using a ic choke for my dove shooting which is what i use in my 12ga 870 and have had good luck with. but while patterning the affinity to check poa vs poi i had the full choke threaded in and the pattern at just 25 yds with a full choke wasn't very concentrated. so, if the full isn't as expected at 25 yds i'm thinking when i screw the ic in it will be less than expected also. i like a more open choke for doves but want it contrated where a bird can't find holes in my pattern.
thanks,
eddie

Primary purpose was to make them easier to change - with no tool required ( just twist them in and out with your fingers.

With the extended choke its also a little easier to see what's in the gun.
-------------
Extended or not --- it doesn't change what your specific gun does with a specific choke. How the choke is marked - is not necessarily how it functions in your gun - so you have to pattern them to be sure. Its about the amount of constriction between the barrel and the choke.

How a choke patterns can also vary by shell...some of the cheaper shells - will not pattern as well as higher end shells ( cheaper shells might have more variation in the shot inside and might have softer lead - both may cause flyers).

thanks bigjim. i was thinking about getting a couple briley extended x2 for the franchi but was hoping to get a higher concentration of pellets in the circle. although i like a ic for dove maybe a light mod would be better cause i like to stretch my range sometime on a floating dove at 45 or so yds but i don't want a tight full choke for close in shots which is what i prefer.
thanks,
eddie

I prefer extended chokes -- and Bailey makes a very good product.

But again how they function depends on the size of the bore in your gun ( it's actual dimension inside -- which can only be measured by a " bore gague" -- and then measure the amount of constriction based on what the gague says for the choke - compared to your specific barrel - so you can evaluate what the choke will probably do.

Some shotgun mfg's barrel dimensions vary more than others from gun to gun --- some not so much.

So don't necessarily depend on how they're marked --- go to the pattern board / and probably evaluate 5 shells ...and maybe 2 or 3 different kind of shells / I have seen a 20% change in some patterns between "cheap shells - like Estate or Rio" vs Rem STS..or another premium shell....

With thinnER walled choke tubes and steel/tungsten shot you also have the ability to shoot Full type chokes with an extended tube, where most of the restriction falls beyond the original barrel. I had two SxSs that employed that technique to good effect.

One added benefit of extended chokes is muzzle protection; it's a lot cheaper to replace an extended choke then it is a set of barrels.

ok fellas now briley x2 black oxide vs carlson black oxide both extended for my franchi? i want a close to 35-40yd dove choke then a tighter one for longer shots.
thanks,
eddie

i like to see em blink before throwing up to shoot. like right on me when i can or when my 11yr old son doesn't have nerves of steel and throws up before i give him the take 'em. right on me to 30 or so yards will be 75% of my shots with a few 40 yarders that i just can't let pass. like i said in another thread i see that briley doesn'y even make a light mod in the x2 extended choek for the 20ga.
thanks,
eddie

thanks fellas for the opinions on the chokes. think i'm going light mod and maybe a improved mod for my wing shooting needs.

thanks fellas for the opinions on the chokes. think i'm going light mod and maybe a improved mod for my wing shooting needs.
sorry guys double post

Last edited:
Another benefit of some ported extended chokes is that they maximize the effectiveness of steel shot. We run 3.5" Winchester Super X 3's with Winchester Xpert 1-3/8 oz. #2's and kill ducks on the wing with one shot at 50-55 yards using the Kicks High Flyer Full Extended Ported Chokes. The angle of the High Flyer porting holds the wad for a split second so that shot holds together longer for tighter patterns. With this set up I am either on or off with this tight pattern but my cripple rate has plummeted. Out of 47 ducks knocked down this past season, We lost one duck and had three that had to be shot another time or two. You must constantly check the tightness on the Kicks as it will back out through transverse vibration.

Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube is a must. It's basically anti seize compound and it will keep your chokes from getting stuck.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Clea...aning-Maintenance/Choke-Tube-Lube-Grease.aspx

I am of the opinion that all of the claims made by the Super Duper killer name club(s) are highly exaggerated to match the pricing. The constriction vs. bore diameter is what determines the choke, and as long as the machining is good and the right metal is used they will all perform as expected. And I have patterned a bunch of them.
An acquaintance bought a $100 plus tube - I won't name drop - and my TruLock Improved Modified shot tighter with large waterfowl shot. But, getting that constriction right and testing some is the key.

We have found the Winchester factory Invector Plus Choke does find out to 35-40 yards. The Carlson Super Steel Full non ported is a good choke for the money and works out to 45 yards. The benefit we see from the Kicks High Flyer is it provides good performance with the cheaper steel shot options. We went from shooting Federal Black Cloud, Dry Lok and Winchester Supreme to Winchester XPert. We hunt public land where most of the nimrods hunting sky bust or shoot too soon. We also hunt public flooded timber over in Arkansas. If you don't put the duck down quickly, they are gone in the heavy cover.

The man reason for the extended choke is still to protect the muzzle. All my shotguns have em'.

Another benefit of some ported extended chokes is that they maximize the effectiveness of steel shot

Porting does nothing on a choke except make it harder to clean; it does nothing for patterns. Kicks, Pure Gold, Rhino all make good chokes - but it isn't the porting that makes them pattern great.

I have duck hunted for 38 years and I guided in a 119 year old duck camp for seven. I was against ported chokes until I saw what they are capable of. It may not be the porting but I can tell you Kicks High Flyers and Pattern Masters make inexpensive shot perform well. Perhaps it's the long parallel section or maybe the angle of the port cut holds the wad for a moment in time but they work. I was the greatest skeptic for decades until I tried one. I don't like the ported choke on close quarters as it is TOO LOUD. I use the extended Carlson's Super Steel full for those applications. As far as cleaning, we put the chokes in Tupperware tubes and spray them down with MPro 7 cleaner or another type of bore cleaner and they clean right up with a tooth brush----takes all of about five minutes. I watched my son get a hat trick (3 ducks with three shots in the same group of ducks) at tree top level late in January of this year in Arkansas. It reaffirmed my experiences with the Kicks High Flyer Full extended and ported option. These chokes won't make a person a good shot but they do make a good shot better. At the end of the day, I advise anyone to spend a little money and time to find what works for them. Everyone is unique.

Again, the porting had nothing to do with it, the constriction and the quality of the construction of the choke - along with good shooting - brought those ducks down.

the porting had nothing to do with it, the constriction and the quality of the construction of the choke - along with good shooting - brought those ducks down.
I agree totally, but we aren't going to change any opinions. The Muller mafia is likewise totally convinced of the worthwhile cost in that case.

Extended chokes are easier to install and it does make it easier to see what choke is in the gun. But the real advantage is that it allows the choke to be longer so the constriction can be more gradual and it allows the choke to be larger in diameter so it can be stronger.

Back