Whats the proper thing to do?

we wouldnt be having this conversation if you simply open carried like its your god given right to do.

:eek: :D

sorry guys, being away from civilization for an entire week looking at nothing but otters feeding on crabs in green glacial waters and eagles swooping down on unsuspecting salmon and not having to hear cars honking, phones ringing, or random driveby shootings can make a guy a little wacky.

in my case, wackier than usual. :D

I believe most wouldn't define it as such, though there's really no hard and fast definition of martial arts. Some consider it any form of self defense that is practiced to gain proficiency in. In which case styles such as Tae Kwon Do and Wushu don't really count because they're primarily for sport and show, respectively, as opposed to self defense. Others would only refer to martial arts as being the study of unarmed combat but that doesn't jive either because virtually every system teaches weapon use at some point (though those weapons are often common items that normally wouldn't be used as such, sticks and ropes for example).

I dunno....I've never thought of gun fighting as a martial art but since Yabusame and Kyudo (two styles of Japanese archery) are considered martial arts by many I guess it's not out of the question.

That's quite a conundrum... :confused:

edit: unless of course we're talking about Gun Kata :D

http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/JPGunkataCrop.JPG

I'd like to take the opportunity to suggest martial arts. I haven't spent much time on this forum so I'm not sure what kind of reaction this will get. See, most forums I've been on have a smattering of gun owners. Many of them are great guys and girls, just like anyone else. But occassionally I've come across the gun owners that balk and laugh at any mention of martial arts, using the argument that with their ability to carry firearms it's pointless and useless as a form of self defense.

It's not pointless and it's not useless to know martial arts and be in good practice. The more options you have available to you, the better.

The only problem is that unless you're talking about blowguns and throwing stars, you're talking about hand-to-hand combat. My understanding is that once you are within arms reach of an assailant, you are in the gravest danger. How on earth can you know what level of physical strength and fighting prowess you are facing until he is within distance of hitting or grasping you? And then it's quite late to be reaching for your defensive pistol.

The idea is to never be close enough to be grabbed, if you can help it. Or so I am given to understand.

-blackmind

Gunfighting isn't a martial art?
Yes it is.
I was thinking the same thing earlier, but I'm old so I lost the thought until now

From Webster
mar·tial
Pronunciation: 'mär-sh&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin martialis of Mars, from Mart-, Mars
1 : of, relating to, or suited for war or a warrior
2 : relating to an army or to military life
3 : experienced in or inclined to war : WARLIKE

martial art
Function: noun
: any of several arts of combat and self-defense (as karate and judo) that are widely practiced as sport
- martial artist noun

Shooting a gun isn't an art, because millions of people all over the world can shoot just as good as anybody on this site. A art is something that few can do well. Unless you're shooting advils in mid air with a arrow or something to the extreme martial arts strictly refer to hand to hand combat.

Nothing says that an art is something few people can do. Millions of people can throw a good punch but that doesn't negate the training that goes into any martial arts, the same way that while millions of people can shoot a gun it doesn't mean that it doesn't take skill and training to do it with a level of proficiency.

Besides, as I mentioned before, there are two forms of archery that are considered martial arts.

Martial arts are effective, period (several years and scars from TKD). However everything has its limitations.
On the subject of being followed, I have stopped several times, at what i deem to be an advantageous location, and waited for the guy to pass, making sure he know that I know what he's doing with a glance in his direction. I feel I am at least in control of the situation that way. Don't be aggressive but be ready and clear headed.

Shooting a gun isn't an art, because millions of people all over the world can shoot just as good as anybody on this site.
You are aware that there are championship shooters here aren't you.
I'll agree that millions can shoot as well as many if not most here while standing on the firing line.
But the numbers drop significantly when you take them off the ACed range and compare their defensive skills to those here who have actually studied combat tactics at schools such as ThunderRanch, where they teach martial arts gunfighting skills to cops and such

By that logic then stabbing someone with a knife is a martial art.
No, Hank, but training to be proficient enough to be able to competently use that knife in a combat type situation would be
Google Tulisan
A art is something that few can do well.
Could you source that definition please

Unless you're shooting advils in mid air with a arrow or something to the extreme martial arts strictly refer to hand to hand combat.
Then please explain nunchuks, kama, nunte, bo, sai, nagina ta,tonfa, yari, jo katana, and tanto ( and that's just in empty handed karate)

pt111gr said:
By that logic then stabbing someone with a knife is a martial art.

No, by that logic a fighting system that teaches knife fighting techniques to increase the proficiency and safety of someone in a knife fight is a martial art. There are a variety of martial arts that include knife fighting as well as sword fighting, stick fighting, fighting with farm tools, even using a simple length of rope or a belt as a weapon.

How about retreat as a martial art?
As in combat with troops, what our military calls a "tactical withdrawal".

Because it takes a great deal of skill among the leadership to prevent reversing troop movements from being over run by the enemy (there is a system), would not retreat be considered a martial art?

:)

I guess I'll join in on the discussion here. As more than one of my martial arts instructors have said, "the best martial art is track." Basically, you can't lose a fight if the BG doesn't catch you. As far as the practicality of martial arts, I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot of useless stuff being taught by belt factories out there. At the same time, GOOD martial arts are a good thing. Even if you don't subscribe to their use as fighting techniques, they at least condition your body to functioning with adrenaline, taking blows, and reacting to an opponent's movements.

I think going to a gun is just the maximum elevation of force in a fight. Escalation of force is a funny thing under the law, if somebody shoved me, I think I would have trouble defending myself in a court of law for breaking some of their ribs or dislocating a joint. At the same time, once they bring a weapon into play, its a deadly force situation.

This post has gotten longer than I intended. I guess my point is that if you can, run first, then fight at the level you have to to protect yourself and/or the people with you.

Save the face for stomping on (with boots) after you get him down.
That would be a felonious assault with a deadly weapon.
You can beat them into submission not into a coma

On the other hand, a broken nose is very effective at giving you time to get away. When you're out of options, strike hard, strike fast and get out. You may not get a second shot.

Back