What's the most threatening looking revolver?

obxemt

I'm thinking anything large-frame, stainless steel and wood grips with a vent-rib barrel, i.e. the Colt Python or Ruger 608.

The most threatening looking revolver

I haave been around guns and handguns for 40 years. I have had to pull on on occasion. The most threatening looking revolver is "THE ONE WITH THE BIGGEST HOLE IN THE MUZZLE.

I would modify that to say that it's the one pointed at your head. In that situation the hole in the muzzle will magically look much larger! :) Dennis

I realize that anything pointed at me at that particular moment will look really friggin' big. I'm just curious from a psychological standpoint (both mine and my adversary's) what might be the most imposing. For example, a Glock 21 with a laser vs. a rusty .38 snubbie. What brought this up is that I realized that the vent rib barrel, to me, is what makes a revolver look like it means business. Shopping around I found that the Colt Trooper and Lawman just did not quite have the look, wheras the Python does.

I have always thought that the most intimidating looking revolver is the S&W Model 27 with a 3.5" barrel. Now my buddy has a S&W Model 24 with a 3" barrel that is just as awesome looking with a bigger hole in the business end.

Out of my wheelgun collection, the most intimidating one at the business end is my Mountain Gun in .45LC. The combination of big bore and sharply tapered barrel make the muzzle look much larger than it already is, and stainless guns are somehow more "visible" anyway. Looking down that revolver's muzzle is like looking into the Holland Tunnel.

I agree it is the one that is pointed at you.

More objectively, I once saw a .50 caliber 6 shot pepperbox. If one big hole is intimidating, six of them really would be fearsome.

Jim

You want something large and very visible. Large caliber and shiny metal finish like nickel or polished stainless steel.

Like Madison said, a large diameter muzzle, so you want a .44 or .45 caliber bore. The shiny metal will make the muzzle appear even larger as the dark hole of the muzzle contrasts with the shiny metal finish.

S&W N frames, Colt New Service, Colt Anaconda, Ruger Redhawk, ect., ect.

This would give me some pause...

m44.gif

My Smith & Wesson 629-5 .44 magnum with a 5" barrel
and Hogue rubber combat style grip's.:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I am not intimidated by that big hole in the muzzle!

What scares me is when I can see and count the rounds in the chambers. This has happened twice. Both times by people who were wanting to be friendly and show me their revolvers. One was a k-frame 357 and the other was a Ruger Super Redhawk. Oh yeah, they were equally scarey.

Any revolver pointed at you is scary . Period. Looking at a nickel plated or stainless S&W Mod.19 will give people pause to reconsider. In a revolver you can see all the nice hollow points pointed your way .

I read a book some years ago by a NYFD arson investigator. In those days they carried S&W "J" frame 2' revolvers. After an incident in which he pulled his gun, the bad guys were totally UNimpressed with his revolver. The next day, he went down to John Jovino's and asked for the MEANEST looking gun they had. He bought a Colt nickel plated Python.

He said that in every case thereafter, NOBODY gave him any trouble. The word was out on the street, not to mess with The Snake Man. Those who didn't know about him, got VERY big eyes at the sight of the Colt.

Back