What's the most spectacular missed shot you've witnessed?

I was hunting with a group of guys and we had stalked to within about 70-80 yards of a ~200 lb boar. This should have been an easy chip-shot - a moderately short distance on a mostly stationary large target. We got set up to shoot and started the countdown. We are to fire immediately AFTER "one" is reached. Shooter #4 jumps the count and fired before "one." It really would not have been an issue, but he totally missed the hog in the process. Of course the hog ran, spoiling the opening salvo for the other shooters that should have been fired in unison. We had to pick him up on the move, and fortunately, that worked out fine.

Video of the hunt...
https://youtu.be/wq712jAMg3U

It was a cool, cloudy day in April. I was about 18 and hunting woodchucks with my buddy Dave in China, ME, using our .30-06 deer rifles. Mine had a 2.5X Weaver on it.

We pulled in behind the dairy barn and glassed the fields down back. Only one chuck appeared, about 600 yards down the hill, but on the flat. We took prone shooting positions a few yards from the car.

Dave shot first, then me...both misses, so Dave went back to the car for more ammo and brought me some. I fired again, holding about 6 feet above the chuck and a second later saw a blue flash! I first thought, "Got it!", then thought, "They don't do that!"...then wondered if Dave slipped a tracer to me.

The flash got way bigger, then a huge "HUMMMM"! Then the 30,000 volt transmission line parted and, upon hitting the wet field, arced across the grass tips. The power line wasn't very visible in my scope and being only about 250 yards away and downhill, difficult to see against the early spring grass.

The milking machine in the barn behind us went silent and the farmer emerged. I asked if we could use his phone to call the power company and he said he thought I might want to.

The Line Chief wasn't convinced that I didn't try to shoot the wire, and wasn't happy about being called out on a Saturday. The power company never billed me for the repair, and the line, which had run on an old trolley line, isn't there anymore! The line used to supply power to 5 towns.

I thought stuff like that only happened to me... :rolleyes:

Mine was myself...
Had gotten my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag a few months previous to rifle season. Scope on it was 6.5-20 something or other..

Neighbor asks me to go with him to a new spot. We walk in, and he drops me off at a spot just in the woods, along a field. After about an hour, I heard movement through the woods, off to my left. So I'm turned and looking, nothing. I turn back around, and 2 does are standing there, looking at me from literally 20feet away.. Spin around, bring gun up, all I see through the scope is brown... Shoot.... 2 does run away... Found the bullet hole on the back side of the tree... Wrong brown...:rolleyes:

Back