What's the most reliable hammer-fired pistol?

I had an impression that P229 is one of the rock solid choices. What was the issues and how did you get them fixed?
There really is very little difference between any of the classic DA/SA P series Sig pistols.

The P229 came about because the folded steel slides of the P228 was a concern when considering the 40 and 357sig calibers. Its primary difference was a forged and machined slide rather than the stamped steel with welded end caps of the P220, P226, P228 and P225. Most everything else was still the same.

Since I own or have owned almost all of the classic Sig P series I have never found any difference in reliability or function or maintenance or accuracy that wasn't directly related to my lack of talent.

I've never seen a service-type handgun that was dramatically more reliable than others.
I'd rate my own 1911 as more reliable than a random gun of any other type that someone else has.

Interestingly, I think the CZ 75 and HK 23 both failed Garand Thumb's mud test. The CZ 75 was particularly bad because they gave it lots of extra love.

"CZ 75 one of the most popular handguns in the world. I have faith" Fails.

Not that one mud test is everything or a controlled test in any way...but probably one of the better videos on it.

M&P won the test, not that it matters.

Worth it for entertainment alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUNPpgHacM

Last edited:
Interestingly, I think the CZ 75 and HK 23 both failed Garand Thumb's mud test. The CZ 75 was particularly bad because they gave it lots of extra love.

"CZ 75 one of the most popular handguns in the world. I have faith" Fails.

Not that one mud test is everything or a controlled test in any way...but probably one of the better videos on it.

M&P won the test, not that it matters.

Worth it for entertainment alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUNPpgHacM

Was there a hammer fired pistol in that test that did well? I feel like that test by its nature is not going to go well for an external hammer fired pistol.

Good question I am wondering too, but can't be the only thing.

Some of the strikers also choke, like the P320 and PDP. I think there is something also to the rails getting junk into them?

Good question I am wondering too, but can't be the only thing.

Some of the strikers also choke, like the P320 and PDP. I think there is something also to the rails getting junk into them?

The P320 was in their chosen top 4 in terms of performance and the PDP did as well as the Glock, so I don’t know that I would call that choking, especially with how some of the other pistols did. All of them got what was a “Pass” in the harder of the two tests.

The only hammer fired pistols in their top 4 were the Desert Eagle and the Nighthawk 1911. While I think the test is interesting, I’m not sure how much to take from it. I’m probably not going to buy one myself nor would I recommend people buy a Desert Eagle because of this test. I might recommend a Nighthawk, if a person can afford one.

Last edited:
I think the one thing this proved in the youtube was a lot of those guns failed the drop test for keeping a mag in.

I wish the Walther paddle release was the standard.

The Beretta and Sig have both long track records of doing well. I suspect the Beretta may have a slight edge with the open slide. But I like the Sig better. If I were issued either of them, I feel well protected. But if I'm paying, Sig.

I've had less than good experiences with CZ, and they have never been widely used anywhere to earn a track record.

While I no longer own them, CZ not being widely used anywhere? Both my old CZ 52 and CZ 82 were military issued sidearms. If that is not wide use, I do not know what is.

What's the most reliable hammer-fired pistol in your mind?

No pistol can be "most reliable" without some defined standards of what reliable ism and isn't. And no pistol is reliable without 'reliable" ammunition.

The pistol that never got used is 100% reliable. But one has no idea how functional it is.

How about a pistol that runs 100% of the time with one kind of bullet at one speed but does not with a different bullet or at a different speed? Is that pistol "reliable"??

IF even one unit from a production run isn't 100% reliable (by the user's definition) does that mean the entire production run is not reliable??

Or turn that around, if the one pistol tested buried in the mud, sand, dust, whatever, functions does that mean every single pistol of that make and model will do the same??

I bought a pistol from a gun shop one time, because it had a very low price tag. The shop had tried to use it as one of their rental guns on their range. I jammed a lot. Like every other or every third round, so the shop was selling it, cheap.

I took the gun home, and tried it, and they were right The gun jammed 3 times on the first magazine. Not "reliable".

Then, I oiled it. The gun ran flawlessly after that, so it was "reliable". :rolleyes:

so, which gun is the most "reliable"?? Compared to what??

Reliable since day-1 for me have been FN/Browning Hi Power, SIG 210, CZ75, Beretta 92, HK USP, traditional SIG DA/SA pistols, and some 1911 types.

Back