whats the most expensive shotgun you own?

My brother bought a 1100 about 40 years ago, it was around $300 if I remember correctly. He still has it.
The current production might be less costly in inflation adjusted dollars simply because the manufacture of the product involves less hand labor than it did in the '70s. Today, we have CNC and other manufacturing technologies that did not exist in 1970.

Only have one shotgun. The 870 Wingmaster I bought for $289Cdn in the late 80's/early 80's. Wingmasters were not Remington's upper end in those days.
40 years ago was 1977. $300 was about average.

I believe it was 1979.
Depending on how you look at it it didn't cost me anything. Used money from a little trade winfall us sparkies call "rabbit" (scrap copper)
Yes, I could have used the money for other things. But it was always that little extra I used for wants, not needs.
Of course that 400 lbs. of copper back then @ .75/lb vs today's $2-$3 I guess my 1100 is a $900 shotgun!:D

Last edited:
My 12 ga O/U Franchi Renaissance Field. IIRC, it was about $1300 new when I bought it from a guy who had just won it in a duck club raffle for $950.

It's light and has the terrific TSA gel recoil pad so it's a delight to carry and shoot.

I also have a 12 ga LC Smith field grade in pretty nice shape that's probably worth more than the Franchi is now.

I've had a few pretty expensive shotgun's but generally shy away from. One of my brothers calls me the most frugal hermit he's ever known! I took it as a compliment! I've never had a lot of shotguns at one time but now I have 4. An old mod 37 Ithica in 16ga, don't know what it's worth nor do I care, ain't for sale! Also three AyA matadors. Think they ran about $500 each when I got them, inherited! But also had an AyA Matador 12ga that did cost my $500. Sometime's I would really like to splurge and spend several thousand dollars on a really nice shot gun but that ain't gonna happen! Someone tells me a gun of any kind cost much over $800, maybe not quite that much, my hand get's a death grip on my check boof! See there, talking money made me miss-spell book! :-)

Someone tells me a gun of any kind cost much over $800, maybe not quite that much, my hand get's a death grip on my check boof! See there, talking money made me miss-spell book! :-)

Then don't go looking at what new AyAs cost...........$800 might buy you a case for one of them; adding another zero gets you a lot closer..........
And we won't even even get into makers like David McKay Brown whose SxS guns START at £48,000 and go up from there........ ;)

There is a YouTube video that shows how much labor goes into making a fine English double barrel shotgun. Pretty interesting to see all the hand craftsmanship.

SKB 85TSS with adjustable comb and RAT adjustable butt/recoil reducer. Everything else is old and fun but not valuble: Ithaca Flues S/S from 1909, Lefever/Ithaca Nitro-Special from 1939 and a Mossy 500. Others are black powder cartridge or muzzle loaders from mid to late 1800s. Guess I'm just old school.

Back