What's the max range you'll shoot at game?

SodaPop, Just to clarify for me - you said you shoot 10 MOA at 500 yds with a FAL. That is roughly a 4 to 5 foot diameter circle at that distance. Are you comfortable taking a shot at game, not paper, with that accuracy criteria at an even greater distance? Or, was the 10 MOA a mis-statement and you meant something different?

Sodapop,
I think your missing the point of accurate long range field shooting. Without precise measurment of range it is impossible to accuratley shot long range, period. The reason for this is that past 400 yds bullet drop increases drastically. the difference in drop between 550 yds and 600 yds is about 18" or roughly the chest width of a black bear. Guys who do shot accuratley at range all have one thig in common, a good range finder. then we must figure all of the other variables. I still don't think you got the piont about air density temprature hunidity ETC play a huge part in it. IE where your gun shots at 600 yds today may well be entirely different tommorrow. Once I get my elevation and windage at the range I can do way better than 10 moa at 500 yrads. But thatb is at the range under controlled conditions no stress and tons of time. Not the case out inthe field. Noit to mention that an 06 hardley carries the energy to be poppin bears with at 600 yds.
I'm not trashing you sodapop I'm just trying to get you to reconsider shooting a Game animal at that distance unless you've really got your stuff wired tight.
Lets put it this way, I know alot of really good hunters some of whom are military sniper qualified and some of whom have hunted all over the world for lots of stuff. I don't think any of them would admitt to taking a first shot at that range on a big game animal.
Finally when I asked you if you had ever shot anything at that range I was refering to animals not paper. I bust rocks at 800 to 1000 yards all the time it's just not the same thing.

I don't understand having to take a long shot for us Hoosiers in Indiana. I've never taken a shot on any game past 50yds, yet I've only hunted in SOuthern and central Indiana.

Lately the only hunting I've been doing is popping starlings and crows with my brother's pellet gun in my back yard. I'm dropping crows with that bugger at about 25yds.

In early may I'm going to Missouri to shoot some long distance 50BMG but I have never hunted at long range.

In northern Indiana where the land is flat, long range could be critical, but in Southern Indiana, it's all hills and trees.

I'd say that 200 yds is my realistic comfort area of shooting in my neck of the woods.

MPF

I've hunted the river bottom swamps of the Appalachicola River below Blountstown, Florida. Unless you're sitting in a stand at the edge of a clearing, a pistol or shotgun would all that's needed. Shots of 10 to maybe 35-ish yards would be the usual.

My home turf here in the desert, you just never know. Anywhere from under your feet to "Waayyyy out yonder!" It's commonly a case of shoot him running, or just plain forget it.

I'll say it again, there ain't no "always". It's all up to you, your confidence level, and how well you're married up to your pet bang-stick.

:), Art

Did I stir up the hornets nest?:D

Mal I meant INCH not MOA :rolleyes: (And I'm claiming to shoot 600yds at a bear)

All I'll say is I'd take a shot with My '06 at a Bear out to 600yds. I wouldn't attempt to take a deer past 300yds.

The first time I went out for Bear, I was hunting across a reservoir
just outside of Kempton PA. I was up on the edge of a hill where I could see a good 600-800yds around. Many of the Locals said they have seen Bear in that vicinity so I hung out for a day.

With no range finding, or Mil dot scope, I'd absolutely attempt a hold over shot out to 400yds for Bear. Thats only about a 24in drop at that distance. Anything past that I'd need a lot of time.

I guess I'm talking about being comfortable making attempts at game and I'm off topic, but I think If I judged the windage correctly (and it wasn't blowing too hard) It's the max range I would shoot at game.

Should I start FOS poll now?

Last edited:
I use "depends" - not the adult underwear, however. ;)

Rifle, load, game, conditions (which includes me that particular day).

I've done a few 1-shot kills on deer ~350+ before w/an old .243 & p'dogs well past 400 w/a .22-250 - all off rock-solid, but field, rests. Would not have even attempted if less steady.

Using my stand-by short-bbl'd .308, these days, I'd stay within 300 - tad loss in velocity just doesn't give the flatter trajectory & past that, I'm guessing too much.

Doves? I want 'em within 40 or so, or forget it. ;)

Hokay; follow your reasoning, SodaPop.

I bought a Bushnell 800-yard laser rangefinder, just to help when I'm out in long-range country. Now I laugh at myself because I mostly won't carry it out in the field--I then feel that somehow I'm cheating Bambi. Dangfino. :)

But I'd have no qualms in using it for a coyote. Go figure.

As usual,

Art

I was elk hunting a couple years ago in Colorado. Another guy we met there was bow hunting, but he volunteered to take us to the spots he hunted when he was rifle hunting. We were sitting on the side of the mountain; you could see perhaps 50 miles. He pointed out a spot where he had shot at an elk a few years ago. My buddy pulled out his range finder and found it to be something like 1200 yards away. So much for field range estimation. The guy said, "No wonder I missed it".

Hunting a spot like that is frustrating because you see elk all day long that are far beyond rifle range. Then of course there is the question of how you could possibly get the elk out of there if you did connect.

350 and I am very uncomfortable with that distance but sometimes that is the only shot available and if the wind is calm and I have a rocksteady rest, I can make it strike in a broadside shot.:)

For a simple question thats a realy loaded one.
The longest shot I have ever taken at a large game animal was last year's antelope 315 yards - prone, bipod, no wind and a rifle and handloads I'd been shooting all summer at various ranges. On the other hand I've passed up shots of less than 15 yards becuase I couldn't get my clean ONE SHOT KILL!(bout got ran over by that elk:eek: )

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
practice does not make perfect it makes it perminant:cool:

I only ever shot 1 deer over 100 yards away. I was 17 and used my fathers Springfield 1903. Took him at approx. 200 yards across a field.

The other 4 I have taken have all been under 100 yards. That's why I switched to a T/C Encore .44 Mag pistol.

My grandfather always told me, "You don't brag about how far you can shoot. You brag about how close you can get."

For deer elk, antelope etc.. about 400 yards, longer than that and I need a range finder (other than the crosshairs). My hardest shot was around 375 yards from a kneeling position in a gusting wind, if it had been a calm day... who knows? the longest shot I've MADE was around 400-425 (I sitting using a snipersling) but I didn't kill the animal clean. Within 300 yards, we are having dinner.

For Prarie Dogs.. there is no limit to what I'll try. However, realisticly, from a heavier weapon on a bench etc.. maybe 450.. there is a whole lot of stuff happening (wind temperature humidity etc) at long range to vary the point of impact. I can't do it consistantly at that kind of range, but its fun to try.

If you review all of these posts, I think it's fair to say that for what we think of as "game animals", the consensus is that it's a mix of circumstance, personal confidence, and a desire that there be a quick and clean kill.

Varmints being varmints, more risks on any given shot seem more reasonable.

:), Art

I know one guy that actually took shots at deer 500-600yds. He fired about 3-5rds at two doe, threw out the course of the day. He found blood trails, but never recovered the game.:(

Last edited:
I try to limit my shots to 200 yds. or less. Chances of a "clean kill are deminished beyond that distance, IMHO. I have a respect for the game I hunt and try to hunt ethically.
I target practice at distances greater than that.
Jim Hall

Don't laugh too hard, but for me the distance is...

125 yards. I'm currently shooting Swedish Mauser with open sights. I practice at 100 yds. and really feel uncomfortable shooting much past 125 yds. The gun will do it but I have a hard time holding it steady enough currently to hit accurately at 150 yds. I'm having another 6.5x55 custom built and hope to be able to hit accurately out to 400 yards eventually, haven't any idea if I'd ever try a shot that long at game. Have also just bought a Bushnell range-finder to help in judging distances.

Longest shot I've ever made with 12 gage full choke 2 3/4" # 6 shot was 72 yards, knocked squirrel dead out of tree. Don't have that shotgun anymore thanks to a thief. Limit my shotgun shooting presently to the 60 yard range.

effective range

I live in central Wyoming, the land of wide open spaces. After more than 30 years of big game hunting and competition I have learned a few things. First, most folks can't estimate distance. Secondly, the effective range of most riflemen is a whole lot less than what they claim it to be. For those of you who admit that your effective range day in and day out under normal field conditions is 300 yards or less, a tip of the hat.

"...day in and day out..."? HA! Maybe 200 yards? said the small voice at the rear of the room.

A great percentage of my successful shots, I had the same feeling as when I'd first fire up an engine I'd rebuilt: Amazement that the danged thing worked! Dunno. It's always seemed like there are so many variables, there's no way at all to make good things happen on the very first effort.

But I'll take luck over skill, any day.

:D, Art

Back