What's the going price for a Maverick 88?

PetahW,

Yes, that is my understanding. It's been interesting to try to find out where they are currently made. The best I can gather is that all Mossberg pump shotguns are now made at the Maverick facility in Texas, of the same parts (other than the safety and the pinned action), and are pretty much identical (other than maybe some fit and finish). Some still call the Maverick the "Mexican Mossberg", but if that's true is no less true of the Mossberg 500 series from what I've read. Mossberg marks the Maverick as being "Made in the USA, and that includes a sticker on the stock, the stamping on the bottom side of the receiver, and the stamping on the barrel (which from what I've read used to be stamped Mexico). I've previously owned two Mossberg 500', a 8 shot Persuader and a 6 shot tactical model, and I notice no difference in the quality between those and my current Maverick.

Just thought I'd mention this here for other newbies doing information searches.

My Dad bought me a Maverick years ago. It is a 12 gauge with the 18.5 inch barrel. I've since added two more Mossbergs to my collection (500 and 590A1). I've put a bajillion rounds through my Maverick. It slicked up nice and goes boom every time. I personally like the tang safety of the 500 and 590A1 but there is nothing wrong with a Maverick. The barrels for the 500 fit it just fine. I believe there is a package deal that Mossberg has for these where the Maverick comes with an 18.5 inch barrel and 26 inch barrel for hunting. Pretty decent value in my opinion.

FWIW, any gun made outside the US must, by law, be marked with the country of origin - they don't have to be conspicously marked, but marked (usually stamped into the metal somewhere) they are.

For a manufacturer to place a "Made in U.S.A." sticker on a foreign-made product would be a violation of the Consumer Protection laws.

( IOW, they can no longer get away with "made in USA", meaning the city of USA, Japan - as has been the case every once in awhile in the past, on some products.)

I have a maverick 12 ga that came with a pistol grip and 18" barrel.

Personally to me the gun feels cheap when you work the action.:o I guess becuase it was cheap.:(

FWIW, any gun made outside the US must, by law, be marked with the country of origin - they don't have to be conspicously marked, but marked (usually stamped into the metal somewhere) they are.

For a manufacturer to place a "Made in U.S.A." sticker on a foreign-made product would be a violation of the Consumer Protection laws.

( IOW, they can no longer get away with "made in USA", meaning the city of USA, Japan - as has been the case every once in awhile in the past, on some products.)

Thanks for the info. Having looked at a lot of old Maverick threads with confusing information, you're comments above help clarify the issue.

Well, you might have "overpaid" compared to what some are selling it for, but if you enjoy the gun then $279 really is not that bad...

Heck, my Maverick is closer to the $800 range ;)

$219.00 LGS pricing approx. two years ago in the western PA area. I see these $199.00 prices on the net all of the time but what shipping and extra costs ? I don't know. Good luck. tom. :cool:

Here's a picture of my bare bones Maverick. Having had it out to the range a couple of times now, I have to say I like it. It seems just as well put together as my previous two Mossberg 500', and I think the shorter 5+1 Maverick handles better than my 7+1 Persuader did, and it is much easier to get to the slide release on the Maverick than on my Tactical Model 500. No that I think about it, I've never seen a stock 500 5+1 with a regular buttstock on a shelf at the local store where I've bought these 3 shotguns.

From the prices I'm seeing here, I obviously paid a little more for mine, but based on it's performance, I'm very happy with it, and I was able to pick it up from a local mom and pop shop near where I live. The Maverick handles very nice, has been reliable so far, and puts the pellets on target. I think it's a "bargain" at under $300, and based on my experience so far, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good economical shotgun.

Last edited:
I own a maverick 88 12 gauge with a 28 inch bbl and use it for pheasant hunting. It had a nice football shaped pattern with a full choke and pheasant loads in it. I paid $150 from a family member. I have had only one fail to feed with it, just didn't pull the round out of the tube when cycled, but it has been a great gun for the money. Once I get a few more shotguns I may turn it into a tactical type for home defense.

I see the Walmart ones for <$200 but for the security models I generally see the 5 shot 18.5" for $229 and the 8 shot 20" for about $245. You weren't that far off. Enjoy the gun.

Thanks INMY01TA, for the numbers. Even though I like the gun, it's still nice to know that I didn't pay too much more.

These are not "normal" times for firearms are accessories. Have you checked prices on range of ammo lately?

Dealers are charging whatever prices they think they can get away with.
It's not surprising there are some extra mark-ups being done in most parts of the country.

Back