What's the going price for a Maverick 88?

Doug S

I just picked up a new Maverick 88 Security model. I bought it from a local hardware store that I like doing business with, and who generally has good prices in comparison to other local gun dealers. That said, the price tag was $279. I didn't do any price research on it prior to buying other than to read that the Maverick seems to have a record of reliability, and because I've been wanting an affordable American made security shotgun for some time (after stupidly trading off two Mossberg 500' in recent years), and I hadn't been able to find one on the shelves in recent months with all of the Obama gun buying going on lately. I was surprised to see it sitting on the shelf with a "Made in the U.S.A." sticker after not seeing any Mossbergs in stock for so long. So I decided to get it because I didn't think it would stay on the shelf long.

Afterward I noticed the Maverick is generally a sub $200 gun. I'm not disappointed that I bought it, and $279 was still not a lot of cash to put out for what seems to be a decent shotgun. I'm just wondering if $279 price tag is fairly typical of what they are going for in mom and pop dealer shops considering the current political environment, or if this dealer has just started marking prices up. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Rifleer, thanks for the quick response. I don't doubt that I paid a higher than average price, but I would like to hear what the local smaller dealer store prices are these days.

Thanks everyone for the responses, and as stated above, I am happy with the Maverick and don't feel like the $279 was too much to pay (although it's always nice to get a good deal). I do like doing business with this local establishment. I've been doing business there since I was a kid. In fact I got my first handgun and deer rifle there. They have downsized a lot in recent years and seem to be struggling. They are the last local gun shop in immediate area. I cetainly didn't get a "deal" on it, but having paid as much for my two previous Mossberg 500', the Maverick seems to be their equal, and worth the money. I just wanted to know how much more I spent than the average. From what I've been able to gather, I paid about $40 to $$80 higher than the norm, but I figure the current political climate is playing into it. As I mentioned earlier this shop generally has the best prices of the shops in the tri-county area around where I live. I plan to get it out to the range today. Thanks again for the comments.

Last edited:
Supporting a locally owned business that you've had good dealings with in the past... priceless.

I hope they make it -- things are tough these days for almost any small business.

Yes I believe you over payed. I've seen them go cheaper and for about $30-$40 more (well more than what you payed) you could've gotten a Mossberg 500 with 28" field barrel and 24" rifled barrel(well in my area anyways)

Thanks all for the additional info. I just got back from my brother in laws farm. We put a variety of 00 Buck, slugs, and game loads through the Maverick, and I am very happy with it. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this shotgun to others. Money well spent. I plan to go back next weekend and continue breaking it in, and get use to how it handles.

Don't beat yourself up over the price. Too often, we'll spend tons of time online, or even driving all over looking for the best "deal".

Sometimes it's better to just pay and be done.

Enjoy it.

I saw them at Wal-Mart around here for $199. Still plenty of shotguns and shotgun ammo here in Utah. 223, 22LR, 9mm, etc. has pretty much dried up.

I'm going to have to look around, because if I could find another security model for under $200 I'd probably pick up a second.

Back