What's the fastest you have ever seen 9mm? Me: 1467 fps!

I recently purchased a Walther PDP 4.5" barrel. I decided to compare the velocity I get from my handloaded 115 grain XTP bullets between my Glock 43x and my new Walther. Now the Walther has an extra 1.3" barrel length and I saw a 100 fps change in velocity. These are loaded with CFE pistol and below published max charge weights. The Glock was getting 1180 fps average and the Walther was getting 1280 with the same ammunition. This lead me to wonder what some 9mm+P would do. With Speer 124 grain +P loads, my Glock gets 1215 fps. The Walther got 1360! Maybe I am off base, but that is moving pretty darn fast for 9mm and 124 grains.

But who bought them and what was the motivation for the purchase?

I’m being serious. Certainly nothing wrong with them, but a very curious choice with a very slim market of buyers.

I don't know about other people, but I know my motivation for getting a 9mm Contender barrel (along with some others as well).

And that was, when I discovered just how much FUN Contenders were, how accurate they can be and what fine triggers they have, I decided to get a Contender barrel for every caliber I had (if they made one) that would work in a Contender. Rifle or pistol rounds, if I had a gun for it, then I wanted a Contender barrel in that caliber, as well.

So, I've got barrels in .22LR, .22 Hornet, .222, .223, .30-30, 9mm Luger, .38/.357, .44 Mag, .45 Colt /.410, .45 Win Mag and .45-70. If I had a .35 Rem, I'd get a barrel for that, as well, but I don't.

The 9mm is just fun to shoot (nearly everything in a Contender, is) and I'm fond of the unusual. Want to bet I can shoot a smaller group with my 9mm pistol than you can with a tilt barrel service grade one?? It will take me longer, though...:D

What's the fastest you have ever seen 9mm?

Is this a trick question?

;)

Here's a trick answer.

I have seen 9mm bullets pushed over 2400 fps.

In a carbine you ask? The answer is no, not out of a carbine.

350 Legend is, in essence, 9mm. I've seen a .355 95 grain (I think that was the weight) solid copper Lehigh Max Penetrators pushed-to 2400+ fps out of a 350 Legend.

But I have also seen 1400 fps 9mm exceeded out of a CX4 Storm using very light pills in +P+ ranges as well.

Darn it 7.62 Man you beat me to it! Lol

Yeah, my Son and I decided to give the Lehighs a try through his 350 Legend this weekend and the results were pretty good. I just called him to double check my facts and he said they were Xtreme Penetrators 90 grains. Tell you what, they flat out penetrate, I'll give them that. They chronied right around 2450 with very little deviation and they were plenty accurate out to 100 meters. I was impressed. I'm not sure how comfortable I woukd have been pushing jacketed 9mm projectiles that fast but those solid coppers held-up nicely. I want to try them through some gel. They over penetrated six milk jugs full of water and we never found the bullet. We only loaded 10, five and five using Hornady 90 grajn data ... we're going to keep playing with it and see what we come up with over time.

No pressure signs whatsoever.

Darn it 7.62 Man you beat me to it! Lol

Yeah, my Son and I decided to give the Lehighs a try through his 350 Legend this weekend and the results were pretty good. I just called him to double check my facts and he said they were Xtreme Penetrators 90 grains. Tell you what, they flat out penetrate, I'll give them that. They chronied right around 2450 with very little deviation and they were plenty accurate out to 100 meters. I was impressed. I'm not sure how comfortable I woukd have been pushing jacketed 9mm projectiles that fast but those solid coppers held-up nicely. I want to try them through some gel. They over penetrated six milk jugs full of water and we never found the bullet. We only loaded 10, five and five using Hornady 90 grajn data ... we're going to keep playing with it and see what we come up with over time.

No pressure signs whatsoever.
Tnoutdoors 9 tested the 90g extreme penetrators in 9mm out of a 4in barrel. He got over 32in of penetration. Good luck catching one at those speeds.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

Also here's 350 legend with the lehigh extreme defenders at 3000fps.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZc0lC5_Sw

Last edited:
Also here's 350 legend with the lehigh extreme defenders at 3000fps.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZc0lC5_Sw
Wow that was a very interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Yeah I could see these XD Penetrators being a big deal ... if they were no so darn expensive. I use the Xtreme Expansion versions in my 300 BLK so I am already a big Lehigh and Makers advocate but darn these things are expensive.

I think those 90-118 grain .355s might be the real deal in 350 Legend. I am aware that some special ops units are using them in mission specific 9mm carbines, SMGs, SBRs and I guess braced pistol platforms and hitting 2000' fps but, when you start talking 3000+ fps with a 35 caliber projectile that is accurate enough out-to 200 meters and delivers that kind of performance in gel ... wow, they are really on to something there.

Back