What's the difference?

I've been advised to use the 98% lead 2% tin to help with fill for my cap n ball boolits.

I think Kaido casts and sells his cap n ball boolits that are 7-9 BHN.

Use what you want. I don't have a problem with fill. My big bullets get frosted but that doesn't bother me. Never used a Kaido, never will.

In a .44 cal would someone use .451 or .454? Sorry for all of the novice questions guys but this is really sounding like an interesting and ADDICTIVE hobby.

Definitely .454, you might get away with a .451 in some Pietta's but I have seen them move under recoil.

I use my 0.457" balls in my Pietta Remington, but I also had the chambers reamed to 0.449" from 0.446".

I don't have issues with casting balls but with my boolits. Sometimes they also have wrinkles.

I won't be using any more Kaido's either.

Nothing. They are the Lee 255 grn Colt bullet modified.

However his cost of cast bullets was my issue. I tried to buy his mold but Lee was busy with their own production and wouldn't retool until he had enough orders to warrant it, which left me waiting for quite some time so I spent more but created my own.

His boolits have been working quite well on hogs for sure.

Wrinkled bullets mean the lead(or mold)is too cold. When it's hot enough it takes a second or two for the sprue to solidify it's just about right. Kaido's just cost too much for me.

ok, now on to the black powder. Ive been researching different sites, I think I have the basics of it, although we may have to find a replacement for stale urine. Does anyone know if pine wood, untreated, would work as a soft wood? I've read willow is desirable but I'm in short supply.

Back to your original question, I recently purchased a Pietta 1851 Navy Colt in a "historically-incorrect" .44 caliber. I ordered it from MidwayUSA for about $300 or so. This is a sweeeeet gun, and since I received it, I've hardly shot any other of my more modern revolvers, savoring instead the pure shooting pleasure of a cap-n-ball. I'm shooting .454 roundballs over 24 grains of Triple-7 and a Wonderlube wad, hitting a paper plate 10 of 10 shots at 75 feet. Just received my "real" black powder today and can't wait for the weekend to get here.

(By the way, Hawgs are looking pretty good this year)

Commander B. Whiskey
Ark-La-Tex

The Military Model Dragoon is cut for a shoulder stock. Firing full power loads out of a Dragoon is like firing 38 WCs out of an N frame S&W.
I use store brand shortening to cover the cylinder mouths. Reduces the risk of chainfire, cleanup just involves wiping it dowm.

Back