Whats the deal with muzzle brakes on everything these days??

Has anyone contacted the PRS shooters league and informed them that they are not getting any real benefit(s) from using comps/brakes? It's a little disheartening to think a majority of them that use brakes are only fooling themselves into believing they can shoot well with them. Please help them shoot better!:rolleyes:

Whats the deal with muzzle brakes on everything these days??

It is bling.

Since the AR15 has been christened as "platform" instead of a mere rifle, it seems accessorizing it is mandatory.

If anyone believes .223 recoil is costing points without a muzzle brake, maybe he ought to improve his hold by practicing with a .30 caliber.

Highpower competitors routinely shoot rapid fire 'X'-ring sized knots at 200 and 300 yards with AR15s, and brakes are banned from these events.

I like brakes on my 30 cal rifles too. Why make something more difficult than it has to be. If you want to go that route, that's fine. Its pretty silly to pretend that there is no benefit from it though. Its like power steering. I could live without it, but I don't have too, so why make things more difficult?

So what about the hunter that can see his hit on the animal because the rifle didn't move much. Or the smaller dust cloud and the redirected flash at night?

The competition crowd calls it bling, but what about the guy that sits under a shrub at 2:00am and no one ever sees his rifle?

About two years ago, I got a 5.45 Saiga. Recoil with the rifle in stock form was, of course, inconsequential.
Eventually, I did the AK conversion, part of which was installing a genuine east German "zig zag" brake. Really, just to complete the AK74 effect.
First time out to the range with the converted Saiga, the effectiveness of the brake was a revelation. The already light recoil was much less, and I could feel the muzzle being pushed down.

Back