What's the consensus on Charter Arms these days?

I compared them at the LGS just the other day. the GP 100 is so big and heavy I would never consider it for CC. now if they would put a 4.2 barrel on it and up the quality to that of a 90's ruger I would consider it as a range toy.

But after sending back 5 rugers in 3 years and 2 being destroyed and replaced with other models because they didnt have suitable replacements of the same model. And one LCR that they wouldnt replace and didnt repair acceptably.

I wont be purchasing any Ruger products until all I here on the webs and LGS is positive.

turkeestalker said:
I love my Bulldog too Legionnaire, but I'm inclined to think there won't be any comparison. ;)
One can always compare! :)

Did shoot them side by side yesterday. As you would expect, the GP100 is heavier, smoother, more comfortable to hand, etc. Unfortunately, I neglected to bring my handgun rest, so my comparison for inherent accuracy was limited. And that problem was exacerbated by the fiber optic front sight on the Ruger. I really prefer a plain, black, square-outline front sight, so I suspect I'll be looking to change out the Ruger's front sight eventually.

I bought my pristine 2013 Bulldog second hand for $250, or 40% of what I paid for the Ruger. It's advantages (beyond cost) are smaller, lighter, and a better sight picture. I was actually able to shoot tighter groups at 15 yards with the Bulldog--no doubt because of my ability to see the sights more clearly. Because of its diminutive size, recoil was much sharper with both loads I tried. Definitely not a range gun.

Next time out, I'll be sure to bring my rest so I can get a better sense of inherent accuracy of the two guns. But they both shot my hand loads very well, and they will both likely find their way into the carry rotation.

Interesting thread I just bought a undercover lite, 38 special.
Reduced recoil hydra-shoks is what I'm planning to use.

I bought one of a 2012 or so vintage Bull Dog in .44 Special. My wonerful wife confiscated it. I hand load for it, and cast bullets for it. It has gone bang every time for over 800 rounds that she has put through it. Most of the primers have been S&B or Tula so they are hard. No problems firing them. When she first started shooting the gun I thought there might be a problem as there were two rounds in the first cylinder tbat failed to fire. I watched her shoot the next time, and it turned out that she short stroked the trigger. A talk with her about it, and her changing her grip solved that problem.

Back