What's the consensus on Charter Arms these days?

TruthTellers

After my fun disaster with a used H&R .32 S&W Long revolver, I'm opening up to Charter Arms and their Undercoverette in .32 H&R Magnum. However, instead of just focusing on that revolver, I'd like to make this thread about Charter Arms as a whole.

How is the quality they're making today? I've heard some so-so things...

I conduct a women's Firearm Safety and SD course every winter. The class contains a lot of ladies, who may be single mothers, low to low/middle income, in other words for the most part these aren't well to do people, but still have the desire to protect themselves and their families.

I don't tell the students what gun to buy, we're all different and different guns fit different people.

Having said that, small 38 revolvers seem to fit a lot of these ladies, Low recoil and concealable.

That brings us to the Charter Arms. They are quite popular, easy to shoot (at self defense distances) easy to conceal, and for most of these ladies, reasonably priced.

Though I don't own a Charter Arms I deal with them quite a bit and have some observations.

They aren't designed for Plus P loads, so I suggest people avoid those and stick to standard 38s.

I also see a lot of weak hammer falls, not all primers are reliable in these guns. When I find a round that wont go off in the Charter Arms, I shoot them in my Smith 642, it shoots them all.

Charter arms revolvers work, but caution needs to be addressed. First Charter Arms greases (or oils) their internal parts. This grease hardens and makes the gun sluggish. That should be cleaned up. It also makes the gun sluggish in cold weather. It gets cold here in the winter, (9 below at last nights class). I try to get to the range early to get the heat going, but its still rather cold at the start of the class, plus many of these women keep the gun in the car prior to the class. So they are often sluggish at the start of the class but as it warms up, the start working better.

Another problem is primer choice. These people cant afford a lot of ammo so our club furnishes the ammo. I'm a big fan of Winchester Primers and use them in all my reloading. But often the cups are too hard for some of the Charter Arms, I had to go to Federal Primers to get more consistent ignition.

With out bad mouthing any ammo manufacture, some ammo works better then others.

Any SD handgun needs ammo that works each and every shot. So with the Carter Arms (and every other gun used in SD) one should be picky on his/her carry ammo. Buy one box at a time, firing the whole box until you find what works. If you get one round that fails to fire, save the remainder for practice and get another brand. Same thing, shoot the whole box to make sure it works. Then when you find a brand that works, buy a couple boxes for Carry.

Make sure its the same lot, ammo does very from lot to lot.

Having said all that, the Charter Arms' are good little revolvers. Some shoot better then others, but most all can be reliable if the proper ammo is found and you clean the guts of the revolver.

One more problem I've noticed, many with small or weak hands tend to short stroke the trigger, (not pulling it back all the way to release the hammer). I see this a lot more on CA then I do on Smiths for some reason, but that is really the problem with the shooter, not the gun. Care must be used to work the trigger properly.

Like I said, I don't own one, but this is my observations to the little revolvers over that past 5+ years where I've probably seen over 100 in use.

I'd venture to say, in my class, the Charter arms is the most popular revolver, for autos its the Ruger LCPs. One must take into account reading this, I'm dealing with mostly low income students. I don't get many (none actually) women showing up with Smiths out of the Smith Custom Shop.

My first snub revolver was a Charter OFF DUTy in 1984...it is still in my safe and I still carry it occasionally...has served well.

I prefer a LCR or 642...but my son has a new Bulldog and it seems to do well...but we do handload for it, so I am not sure about light strikes as we use Winchester primers and have had no problem with them.

Last edited:
There's a small gun shop 3 miles from my home, run by two retired cops from a small town in Connecticut. They stock a fair number of Charter Arms revolvers, and they seem to know someone at the factory. Even they admit (to me, privately) that the quality is "iffy." They are better than Taurus (the shop I'm talking about won't stock Taurus, and won't even order one for a customer on special order because they don't want to deal with Taurus when (not if) the gun has to go back for repair). They send about 25% of the Charter Arms guns back for warranty issues, but they say that warranty service is generally good.

Personally, in .38 Special I'd buy a Rock Island (Armscor) M200 or M206 before I'd buy a Charter Arms. But Armscor doesn't make anything in .32 caliber.

Just be careful who the Charter Arms gun is made by. I had a Bulldog made by the previous company to now, Charco I think. Worst gun I ever owned. After the first range trip I sold it and would never even consider another Charter Arms.

I bought a Taurus 445 after that and loved that gun. Much better made and picked up used for $250. And to think I thought Taurus was junk. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I have a bulldog and love it. Its made in the latest factory. I blew it up using unknown handloads the first day I had it. Called Charter, told them exactly what happened. They replaced the revolver free of charge including shipping both ways.

It fits in my J frame holsters. I had to change the grips because it hurt my hands.

Worth more than I paid for it.

David

Kraigwy said it perfectly. I have a small charter Undercover DAO and I've noticed the sluggish trigger in the cold and the light primer strikes. I only shoot federal ammo in it and get 100% ignition. I have had to send it in for warranty work and the service was excellent. Dimensionally it is slightly smaller than a j-frame and smaller than an LCR, which was the big selling point for me. It is actually more accurate than my LCR.

Bought a first series Undercover for eldest daughter..

back in 2000. gave her the choice between a J-frame S&W or the Charter.
She choose the Charter.

From what I recall the late 90's to the early 2000, Charco was the controlling entity and failed miserably.

Then the original "ownership" group bought out the second group and cleared the mess up and return the Charter back to a quality firearm.

Do a menu search for this forum, as I recalled the current president did a reply
asto what happen.

I think the current models are rated for "+P" usage, not the earlier models.

I e handled many in the stores. Crude, especially when one considers the cost vs. quality of an LCR in .327.

So if I bought a used Charter Arms and there was an issue with it, would Charter repair it?

Also, does anyone know when Charter Arms, whether it was the old Charter, Charco, or new Charter, stopped making the .32 with an exposed cylinder rod? I ask as a more definitive years would help me avoid being stuck with a Charco paperweight.

Last edited:
That Charter Arms Undercoverette

Truth Teller, in post #4 on this thread, asked about a Charter Arms .32 on Gunbroker. Based on the photos and the serial number shown, 360173, that appears to be a first generation Charter Arms, made around 1974 or 1975, in Stratford, CT.

Usually those are said to be well-made, but I do not know what provision the present-day company makes for service for them.

Edited to add: This PAFOA thread discusses the dating of Charter Arms revolvers:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=13922

Charter provides lifetime warranty service on any firearm made by the CURRENT iteration of the company. The best way to tell if your firearm is covered is to look at the name of the company and location of manufacture stamped on the barrel. If it says "charter" or "charter 2000" on the barrel with "Shelton, Conn." on the barrel then it is under warranty. Anything else and it is NOT covered.

I've got a couple of Charter Arms revolvers. a .38 spl off-duty which i really like and also a .22 Pathfinder. Both guns were bought new.

I had an issue with key-holing on the .22 and, since i'm in the same town as Charter, dropped it off and had it repaired and back in 2 or 3 days. (this was probably 3 years ago..)

no issues with either since then and the Off-Duty has been trouble free right from the start. The owners and staff are first rate, from my experience. I have other revolvers, Smiths & Rugers and have no problem carrying the Off Duty for SD purposes. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

They really are great on service. I sent a gun in for warranty work about a month ago and after it had been there about a week I called in to get a status. I happen to call during their lunch break so who answered the phone? The owner of charter arms. The CEO. Wow and cool. He told me that everyone else was on lunch and that he was working through the lunch break and picked up the phone when it rang. He took my information and said he would have someone call me who knew more about the repair because he of course didn't know the status. Someone did call me later that day. Now THAT is service. I have a high opinion of the product that they are currently making at its price point.

Ive owned alot of Charter revolvers ... Customer service second to none... I own a Alumium framed shrouded hammer 38 spl at this time 12oz ( with older wooden grip panels ) ... Great revolver.. And I have owned a Charter 44 spl for the past 10 years .. Great revolver ..

Back