What's The Best Revolver For Concealed Carry?

As I've stated earlier, I have a 3" Taurus 85 that shoots alot better that any of the 2" guns that I've owned. I know that the extra inch makes a difference, but could the Taurus 85 be more accurate/have better trigger than the other guns I've owned?

I've owned a Rossi snub and a S&W 442.

I have looked at the Taurus 85 with 2" barrel and CH. Can you catch the hammer and cock it for a SA shot? It is listed as DA on their web site.

If so, would I be justified in trading the 3" 85 for a new CH 85?

Tim

"I have looked at the Taurus 85 with 2" barrel and CH. Can you catch the hammer and cock it for a SA shot? It is listed as DA on their web site."

I cannot speak for the Taurus specifically, but if a revolver with a hammer is listed as DAO, usually the notch on the hammer which is engaged by thumb-cocking the hammer is missing. I have a S&W M65 which was modified in that way. If you try to thumb-cock it, the hammer, when released will merely fall forward to impact the primer.

If the revolver is listed as DA, this generally means BOTH SA and DA.

I really like my S&W 442. It's easy to conceal and as accurate as the shooter. As far as the grip goes, my little finger rests underneath it when I shoot it.

Before the 442 was broken in, the trigger seemed a bit stiff, but I've since become quite accustomed to it, and it doesn't seem so stiff.

One gal, a 66 year old novice pistol shooter whom I put through a pistol class, had trouble shooting with her weak hand since she didn't have the strength to pull the trigger. She had a great time, though, and put over 200 rounds through it with her strong hand. She enjoyed it and her groupings were rather well after awhile. She's since purchased one and has begun practicing with it.

Good luck.

For a CCW revolver, consider the all-ti Taurus 617 or the even lighter Taurus multi-alloy 617. The Ti model offers seven rounds of 357 or 38 special in a 20 oz. revolver. The gun is medium-sized, but light, and easy to carry. I have enjoyed owning mine, although it was pricey even when discounted at the gun show ($450). The multi-alloy is supposed to be about 16 oz, but I haven't shot or even seen one. It is considerably cheaper than the Ti model.

Drakejake

Ditto 638. Airweight, shrouded hammer. Would like it with the slightly longer 649 bbl. However.

Very good trigger out of the box. I can shoot mine as accurately as a Glock.

A Ruger SP-101.
It's a small revolver, with great sights and grips.
An easy gun to shoot...and it looks real good too.
I don't recommend that you carry in the pocket. For the casual user a belt holster is the way to go.

Back