What's the best money and worst money you've ever spent on hunting gear?

FirstFreedom

Consider not only the absolute utility, but also the price/value of the gear. Some of the best:

1. One of those height-adjustable shooting rest monopod/hiking stick things with a "V" at the top - invaluable. $40

2. One of those 'doghouse' tent blinds that fold up like your car sunshade and go into it's own little backpack - very mobile and effective. $70

3. Pair of camo chest waders. Not only does it keep you dry crossing streams, but (a) it's effective camo, (b) its slick surface makes it a good briar-buster, and (c) if you get a little oversized boot, and put in a chemical toe warmer and good socks, its not a half bad cold weather footgear. $70

Worst:

1. Electronic deer call thing. One fall into the creek, and it went kaput for good. $25

I'll think of others..

Worst - space blanket, one of those aluminum foil jobbies. Does nothing in the real cold of a winter wonderland. Didn't cost much, but a quarter was too much.

Best - My Viscount Mauser Mark X .270. Gone everywhere, done everything. Still reliable and accurate. Best $200 ever spent...

Best money was a little (almost tiny) Surefire flashlight, at $40. It is less than five inches long, fits in a pocket, but bright as a spotlight. It was the major reason we spotted the blood trail of my son's first deer on a twig two feet off the ground where I wasn't even looking yet, and we ended up finding the deer. I didn't buy a flashlight, I paid $40 to turn a called miss into that first deer. Like the credit card commercial says, "Priceless."

Worst money was a bottle of that luminol blood tracking spray that was supposed to make blood glow. I don't know if it was a bad or expired bottle, but my brother made a trip into town to get it after hitting a deer with his bow, and after screwing around with it, the other brother said "Wait a minute!" He took out his pocket knife, poked his finger, and put a couple of drops of blood on a leaf, sprayed it, and...nothing.

Best- Polaris Ranger 4X4, goes literally anywhere, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get it stuck. Well over the 5 figure mark, but that things awesome.

Worst- Ummm, can't really think of anything right now...if I do i'll edit it.

Best: A pair of Filson tin cloth hunting chaps. They're comfortable, reasonably water resistant, and virtually briar-proof.

Worst: Cheap binoculars. Per the manufacturer's claim, were lightweight, but that was their only redeeming virtue.

Lesson learned: There is no substitute for quality!

Good luck, and good shooting!

Worst? I dunno.

Best? No contest. I bought my deer rifle for $50 cash back in 1969. It was a bare "nekkid" rifle, iron sights only, no scope or mounts, no sling, they had even removed the factory sling swivels. The sellers had thought it kicked too hard, they'd poured molten lead into the factory "lightening" holes in the buttstock, which split a large (~2" x 8") splinter off the LH side. :eek: They did a pretty good job of gluing it back, but of course it was easy to see. :( Why would even a 16 yr-old kid pay $50 for such a rifle? Well, I wanted a deer rifle, & this poor battered rifle in question was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, Pre-'64, in .270 Winchester. :D Just a couple of weeks ago I finally bought another stock for it. ;)

Worst - A V3 Tech Torch flashlight. The thing goes for 100 hrs without needing a battery change, according to the manufacturer. :rolleyes: It's almost dead after less than one. And it takes a weird battery which cannot be found localy.

Best - I don't know. Lots to choose from. I usually do my research first so I don't get stuck with things like V3s.

Best-- surplus Swiss alpenflage tanker suit. Veritably multiflora-proof. Cheap. Comfy. Perfect color for the woods and blending into leaf litter. All pockets in the front. The best in fall fashion.

Worst-- cheap binoculars. eeuw :(

Worst: Battery operated Heated Socks

Best: chemically operated fott/hand warmers.

Gotta stay warm or all you think about is getting warm!

Tree stand. It meant instant success for me. I don't even set mine high, maybe 6'. Made all the difference in the area I hunt though. I saw deer that would've slipped by had I been on the ground in the same spot.

Can't say I ever bought anything that was pure junk. I try to get by with as little as possible.

Chris

Best: A pair of Swarovski and Leupold binoculars. A deer cart.

Worst: A tree stand. Only to discover I'm not comfortable sitting higher than 6 feet. Just a waste of money (for me).

Best: Brittany dog and a TriTronics Pro 100XL e-collar to keep her in line. Quality boots- first a pair of Raichles and now Vasque MXIIs. Camelback. Bullpac pack frame.

Worst: camo.

hmm

good: remington 742 in .243 with synthetic stock and tasco 3-9X40 $350
better: federal loaded 100 grain nosler partition $32
best: a good knife (gerber gator) christmas gift from my bro
priceless: first two deer and a love for hunting and .243 rifles

Worst: Definitely a pair of cheap arse Barska binoculars.

Best: Ruger #1 RSI in .30-06, because I didn't spend a dime on it. The GF bought for me for Christmas and I killed a moose with it the next year. :D

Best, not sure. I have bought lots of nice things. Nothing just jumps out as the best.

Worst: Probably gonna have to be a pair of Rocky Corn Stalker boots for around $150. After just a short time, the soles fell completely off the boots. Seemed that the part with the tread was cheaply glued to the part that was attached to the boot. Both fell off on the same day. Rocky won't do anything about them. Now they are just slick on the bottom. I wear them around the yard.

HEY, ARTSMOM--please tell me that you used the luminol in conjunction with a BLACK LIGHT--that's the only light that luminol makes blood "glow" under, if i'm not mistaken...

Best: an old gas mask bag with the straps cut off and re-sewed on top.

Worst: deer lure of any variety.

(Edited to put a dash in re-sewed. Somehow resewed made no sense. :))

I'll also second battery powered hot socks as worthless. Also curious about luminol thing, arts - lol. Hmm, I thought that those doe in heat scents will often work during the rut (though they haven't yet for me).

Another vote for cheap binoculars as the worst money spent...

Best? Hard to say, after all, but the three bucks I spent for a shaving brush was a darn good investment. I keep it lightly shot with machine oil and carry it in a ziplock bag. At the end of the day, I brush down the rifle and the revolver. Works great! :)

Back