What's the best 40 S&W for IDPA?

Those are some fine looking guns (STI & SV) I need to win the lottery.

Thanks Keith that might be the best choice, find the one I like and can afford and redo the trigger.

Thanks all this has been a great help.

Jim

XD

I just order one from www.cdnnsports.com it was 426.00 plus 19.95 for shipping. If you go with the PRP trigger put the safety lever in from the right side of the frame it is easier that way. They sell the video on how to do the trigger job but you can find everything you need to know at www.xdtalk.com

Thanks,Keith

I'll weigh in here with some solid points. Firstly the weight limit for ESP is 43 oz not 41... Second I would not worry about the difference shooting ESP or SSP, and here's why. In the last big shoot I participated in I came in third in my class and division in ESP. I was shooting an SSP pistol because I didn't have an SSP classification, the same score would have good for only fifth in SSP...

Shoot what you're comfortable with. I use a 9mm, because in the long run its much cheaper to reload for and that translates into the 9mm's biggest advantage, more practice shooting!!!

If you do decide on an XD or XDm and are looking to get the trigger worked on, I would recommend Scott Springer. I've seen his work (and more importantly felt it) and its worth every penny he charges.

Just my $.02

Thanks zac.

Springer's work is great

But I paid 230.00 just for the shipping on 2 guns I sent him. You can go with the PRP trigger for 87.00 plus 25.00 for the DVD and come out better. You can even find the info on how to do it at www.xdtalk.com and save the 25 on the DVD. You will need to know how to take the XD down but it is easy. Or you can get the Springer parts and do it yourself even if you screw it up it will be way better than the factory trigger,

Thanks,Keith

One more question if I can pick your brains. I was thinking of getting a 5 inch barrel, but will that disqualify me in any way for ESP or SSP?

Thanks
Jim

No

Not unless it will not fit in the box. ISPC 225mm X 150mm or 8.75 X 6 for IDPA
should be OK anybody know different. It has to be factory that way so in the XD it would be the Tactical model,

Thanks,Keith

Last edited:
Yeah as long as it is the factory length a 5" is fine. G34's and M&P pro's are a very popular example of this.

It's been two months since I started this post and I would like to thank all that have helped. I have finally found a pistol that meets all the requirements, single/double action, that holds at least 11 rounds in the magazine, has a good trigger, will fit in the box, has a large pistol grip, has a hammer and a manual safety and can be fired cocked and locked (can be used for ssp or esp) and will not make me sleep on the couch (LOL). The final winner is a FNP-40.

Again thanks

Jim

Back