What's Stopping You From Buying a Silencer?

^ Those are some good points.

The main issue for most, I speculate is price. Followed closely by the hassle of NFA.

I've wanted an AR15 AAC suppressor for a while to use between my rifles, but $1k+ pricetag is a lot for a normal individual. "Normal" meaning not rich.

If money was no object, I'd have a supressor a long time ago. Now *if* the cost of owning one is substantially decreased (say $300 total for suppresor and paperwork) they'd be more popular and gun owners would be more inclined to get them.

The main issue for most, I speculate is price.

It's not just price. There's a big difference between buying a machine gun and a silencer. You'll get your money back out of a machine gun while the silencer is practically worthless.

That might not always be the case - we may be looking back 20 years from now and see a healthy market for used silencers where you'd be lucky to find one for $3,000.

I see it just exactly the other way.

A machine gun, while fun, serves no real purpose at all. The silencer does a job. It makes my gun quieter. Even to the point of eliminating hearing protection in some cases. THAT is hugely useful to me. Burning through 5000 rounds in an hour, not so much.

The idea of machineguns as investments is a relatively new idea. If there is some kind of registration restriction ban put into place on silencers like the 86 machinegun ban, silencers will become investments very quickly.

With that in mind, I'd better beat the curve and go buy a couple more! :p

I'd like to have a .308 and/or a .45 suppressor, for really no other reason the craps and laughs. *(edit) But I've already dealt with the ATF on one supposedly easy piece of paperwork, a form 6 import form, and that was like pulling teeth. Plus they're not in my budget for the foreseeable future.

In simpler words this--->

The main issue for most, I speculate is price. Followed closely by the hassle of NFA.

Cost. It would be nothing more than a toy that would occasionally get used. I honestly rather put that money toward another gun.

Now if I could get one for $50 total investment it would be neat to have

I did my research and nothing stopped me.

I wanted to suppress a pistol but not worry about having to find subsonic ammo. The .45acp was a natural choice. I wanted a pistol robust enough to withstand the additional pressures inherent with suppression. No problem. The HK Tactical is ideal.

I also wanted to suppress a rifle, but I wanted to be able to suppress multiple calibers and use the same suppressor on all of them. A QD method of attachment would be best.

I also had the opportunity to shoot half a dozen suppressors side-by-side and discovered the difference between a cheap can and an expensive can is not always detectable to the ear, but is often apparent in the quality of design and manufacture.

The POI shift is not significant shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed (from 2 to 4 moa), but it varies from rifle to rifle depending mostly on length and stiffness of the barrel. I've recorded the POI shifts for each in their dope books and it's not a problem.

I found a dealer that was most helpful in preparing the paperwork. I bought my stamps and did my wait.

I do most of my shooting suppressed these days.

It was worth it. Next up will be a .22 can... just because I can.

trigger643 I did my research and nothing stopped me.

Same here, and I wish I had done it sooner.

My first exposure was in 2006, but I didn't get my ducks in a row for another couple years. I own just one suppressor, it's made for my M14s, but I am also able to use it effectively on my AK and AR. I have fired thousands of rounds through this suppressor and I'm loving it.

Several different things

1. Cost - for the price of the can and the $200 tax stamp, I personally would rather have a bunch of ammo, or a new scope, or a new gun, etc.

2. Hassle - I realize that the process is not complicated, I just would rather not wait 6+ months to go through the approval process.

3. Registration - I do not think the ATF is going to come kicking in my door because I am on some list of registered owners, but I would prefer to stay off the list for the simple reason that I think registration of a tool that is useful in certain applications when attached to a perfectly legal item I can buy at Walmart is not something our government should be doing.

4. Need - this one is the biggest issue for me. In my mind, I have no need for one. I do not shoot where noise is an issue, they are illegal to hunt with in OH, recoil does not bother me, and I have never come across a scenario where I thought to myself, "man, I wish I had a suppressor right now."

5. None of my guns have a threaded barrel, so I would need to buy guns for that specific purpose, or have a smith thread them.

For those of you who are discouraged about cost, for under $1000 out-the-door (that's including the transfer tax) you can get an SWR Octane 45. It's a very durable suppressor that will probably last your whole life. And if something happens to it during normal use Silencerco has EXCELLENT customer service and will probably fix it for free. It's very versatile; you can use it on the following calibers:

.45 ACP
.45 Colt
.44 Special
10mm
.40 S&W
.357 Magnum
.357 SIG
.38 Super
9mm
.32 ACP
.25 ACP
.22 Magnum
.22 LR
.17 HMR
.308 (Subsonic)
.300 Blackout (subsonic)
Or any other caliber that doesn't exceed the diameter or pressure limit of the suppressor.

Sure, it's a little large and unwieldy for some of the guns that shoot some of those calibers, but one suppressor that can do all that for under $1000 doesn't seem that expensive to me.

micromontenegro said:
Ok, so a grand is cheap.
I never said it was cheap. What I said was that for a grand you can buy a silencer that will suppressor all those calibers and more, and will last the rest of your lifetime. And that's worth it to me. Nobody here has any firearms that cost that much?

The same reason I don't own a sbr, sbs, aow's, pistol grip SA shotguns, magazines in excess of 15 rounds (six for shotguns), bayonet lugs, threaded barrels, collapsible or folding stocks, or anything FA.

Same reason I can't carry a firearm for any reason, pick up my friends on the way to/from the range, get lunch on the way to/from the range, buy two handguns within a 30 day period, buy a handgun without a firearms id card AND a permit, transport hollow point or dumdum ammo, or purchase black powder/C&r items through the mail.

I'll go ahead and let you guess.

This is what I want for my Glocks

Theohazard For those of you who are discouraged about cost, for under $1000 out-the-door (that's including the transfer tax) you can get an SWR Octane 45. It's a very durable suppressor that will probably last your whole life. And if something happens to it during normal use Silencerco has EXCELLENT customer service and will probably fix it for free. It's very versatile; you can use it on the following calibers:

.45 ACP
.45 Colt
.44 Special
10mm
.40 S&W
.357 Magnum
.357 SIG
.38 Super
9mm
.32 ACP
.25 ACP
.22 Magnum
.22 LR
.17 HMR
.308 (Subsonic)
.300 Blackout (subsonic)
Or any other caliber that doesn't exceed the diameter or pressure limit of the suppressor.

Sure, it's a little large and unwieldy for some of the guns that shoot some of those calibers, but one suppressor that can do all that for under $1000 doesn't seem that expensive to me.

Back