What's so unique about "Scout" Rifles?

$2,500 for a rifle is a bit steep for me, regardless of its quality. Besides, my No. 4 mk1 shoots well enough for me to hit what I want (i.e big game at responsible distances and human silohuettes out to 400yds.).

It all boils down to know your rifle and load.

Rich what the HECK kind of optics are dropping on that rifle to up the price so high??

My savage 116 fsak cost $412, the rings and mounts (burris) were another $50-60, the tasco world class 3x9x40 was another $100.. a good b-square bi-pod would run another $75.... IF I used one... i'd still be under $700 I've looked at burris, red field,simmons leopould, weaver, etc etc scopes and I can say I like tasco because the optics are VERY clear and the no-hassle warranty is SOLID (like when my dad sent back a pair of bino's he ran over with a truck) You CAN'T beat that.

I'm STILL getting .5 moa out of that set-up with handloads and nearly the same with factory ammo.

Are LER scopes REALLY that expensive or has the "scout rifle" craze driven the price up? Doesn't ANYONE remember that the MAIN REASON we HAVE LER scopes was for winchester lever action guns??? About the ONLY cool thing about the scout rifle by steyr is the "hidden" bipod.. which doesn't make much sense on a rifle designed to make quick accurate shots. (I know its a "do-everything" gun) Well i already HAVE a do everything gun. Its a savage 116 with a compact stainless fluted barrel and detachable magazine. in 30-06. It can kill anything in the lower 48 and i can get ammo at any wal-mart and get moa accuracy. And instead of a bipod i use a leather GI sling to stabilize my rifle for long range shooting.

like I've said a $2500 UBER KANNON will NOT substitute for good shooting skills, habits and practice.

Dr.Rob

Dr. Rob-
You're right. If you put a Tasco scope on a Savage Scout, you're in for less than $800. My mistake.

Of course if you put a set of recap tires on a Chevy Nova, it'll get you where you're going. I've nothing against this as one of the most dependable cars I ever owned was a 60's vintage Nova. What insults my sensibilities is the incessant need to compare the Nova to a Porsche. ;)
Rich

Hmmm.. Dr. Rob, the problem is similar to Kipling's blind men examining the elephant. None of the parts of a scout, of and by themselves, reveals the true nature of a scout.

I have three primary .30 caliber rifles. One is a box magazine .308 semi-auto. (SA M1A) Good accuracy, great firepower. Another is a M70 Classic Stainless .30-06, Leupold 2.5 x 8 on Leupold QD rings and a 4.5 x 14 also set up for the rifle. H-S Precision stock, Ching Sling.

Either can perform any one function better than my .308 scout. (Remington 600) Neither can perform all functions with the handiness of the scout. It is truely the "Swiss Army" rifle.

Until you try one, you simply can't understand the synergy of the system. Just like some of the blind men thought the elephant was a wall, snake, tree, etc. Try one for a while and you'll understand.

Giz

Back