What's in your gun?

Doug.38PR

What kind of Ammo do you all carry in your gun? Do you change it with the seasons? Do you say, go from Corbon Hollowpoint in the summer to Federal Hydrashoks in the winter so as to penetrate thick coats?
I have been carrying Winchester Silvertip Hollowpoints in .38+P all summer. I am about to go out at some point this week and get some Federal Hydrashok .38+P for winter carry. Don't want to come across some guy in a thick wet coat and have my HP's just bump him around.
I also, when I am at home or in motel, put glazers in my gun while indoors.

I will also add, that when wearing shoulder holster, I keep the two speedloaders on it's opposite side loaded with Corbon .38+P for a little more punch than the Winchester Silvertips in gun and other two speedloaders

Last edited:
I use Corbon DPX year round. They do have an impressive round for your 38. At any rate, I would use the Hydra Shok year round before I would use the Silver Tips. It's a much better round.

I use Gold Dots in my .45 year round. Gold dots in my P-3AT year round, too. Good point. Maybe in the winter I should switch the .380 over th FMJs?

I don't see a need to switch the .45. A 185gr. Gold Dot will penetrate pretty well, even if it expands.

What's in my SD handguns, you ask?

Gold Dots, in both my S&W 686 and Bersa .380. The Bersa has the real, genuine Speer factory stuff. The 686 has the Georgia Arms variety of .38 Spl +p.

The S&W 422 in my wife's bedside table is loaded with CCI MiniMags, solids. For reliable penetration.

Do I change loads with the seasons? Nope. Gold Dots are good, all around bullets, I see no reason to change with the seasons, especially here in the South. And I see no reason to change from the CCI solids in the .22 -- it is a marginal round anyway, and I just don't trust the hollow points of any brand to penetrate adequately. I'd really rather that my wife have something else than that .22, but she likes it, shoots it fairly well, and has a medical condition that makes it hard for her to shoot most other handguns.

hmmm.

Here is what I usually use in order of caliber.

.380 ACP: 102 gr. Remington Golden Sabers

.38 Special: 135 gr. +P Gold Dot, 125 gr. +P Golden Sabers

9mm: 124 gr. +P Golden Sabers, 115 gr. +P Corbons, 124 gr. +P Black Hills

.357 Magnum: 125 gr. Golden Sabers, 125 gr. Black Hills

.40 S&W: 165 gr. Golden Sabers, 165 gr. EXP Black Hills, 155 gr. Magtech Hollowpoints.

I try to have at least two boxes of 50 or just a 50 count of each load. This is easier said than done due to larger volumes of practice ammo purchase. At least enough to load up 3-4 magazines and 2 speedloaders per a gun.

I honestly figure with most modern high quality JHP ammo the person who is attacking you will not know the difference. I think ammo selection is almost at personal as weapon selection and rightfully so.

Hydra's in the main magazine, Corbons in the backup (spare) magazine.

Don't ask me why, even I don't know okay :confused: .

Wayne

(and I've fired both types in all the carry guns with no problems at all)

I carry the same all year round... PMC 230gr Ball in the pipe, all mags are loaded with 185gr Hydrashok +P ... at 1130fps and 525fpe I never worry about switching.

9mm Glock.

Federal 135gr premium JHP. (may or may not be hydrashock)
Federal 147gr Hydrashock.

Decision of which is made by whichever the store has.

185grn+P's in the 45 autos
200grn JHP's in the 44 Mag

The rifles are loaded with soft points or Balistic Tip hunting rounds.

9mm XD9
124gr Remington Golden Sabre

.357 sp101
158gr Federal HydraShok

.45 1911
230gr FMJ

.400 Corbon Glock 21
Hornady XTP 165gr handloads

Ruger Redhawk .44
300gr Federal CoreLockt hardcast
(for lions and tigers and bears...)

Don't want to come across some guy in a thick wet coat and have my HP's just bump him around.
Look into EMFJ. Expanding full Metal Jacket. I have heard good things. They are growing in popularity. From tests, they dont expand quite as much as HP but they seem to have a more consistant expansion pattern. Cloths mean nothing to them. I am switching once my HP's are old. Glaser or Magsafe in my Apt btw. Otherwise, hydroshoks all the way.

Winchester Ranger T in all HGs and Corbon 125 gr .308 for my rifle. SG gets Winchester Supreme Plated High Velocity 3in 00 Buck and K.O. Rifled Slugs

i carry the same round year round. Cor-Bon 135gr JHP's - .40S&W i'm a subscriber to the light and fast school of thought.

Bobby

sounds like marketing...

All them hollowed out bullets and gel-tests....a real marketing ploy for the bullet makers. How 'bout good ole' reliable 230 gr. FMJ .45 ACP?..any brand will do and a head shot will take the fight out of just about anyone.Good through clothing too. And it more than covers that 60% min. lead clause for you carriers.;)

Back