What's in a name?

Regarding bore size, bullet diameter, and cartridge names, there is a relationship, but once you get past the first number, its entirely a matter of what the maker wants to call it.

English or metric system, rounding up or down, measuring bore (land) or groove diameter, or even a name based on the historical parentage of the round and not related to actual bullet diameter (after the first digit).
Also the cartridge name can even be a combination of these things, or just something chosen for its market appeal and different from other names.

And, straight math conversions (primarily metric to english) don't always work out "right" (to match bullet diameter to 3 decimal places) either.

5.56mm converts to .218"
7mm is .275"
7.62mm is .300"
etc.

Nation of origin and its manufacturer's customs also play a part in the cartridge name.

examples abound. 7x57mm, 7mm Mauser, and .275 Rigby are all the same round, depending if you are in Europe, the USA, or England.

9mm Luger is 9mm Parabellum (original maker's name) 9x19mm (standard metric designation) or 9mm Luger (US name).

8mm Mauser, 8x57mm are commonly used, but the German military designation is 7.92mm...

.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, .221 Fireball, .222Rem, .222 Rem Mag, .223 Rem/5.56x45mm, .224 Weatherby, .225 Winchester, and .22-250 all shoot the same .224" diameter bullets.

US .30 caliber rifles use .308 bullets, but Russian ".30s" 7.62mm usually use .311-.312" bullets, as does the .303 British, and the 7.7x58mm Arisaka rounds.

It gets even more "into the weeds" when you look at the names of pistol rounds vs. their bullet diameters, today.

Like why our ".38s" shoot .36 caliber bullets (.358") and why our ".44s" shoot ".43" (.429") slugs. The reason is due to the history of metallic cartridge and bullet development, AND, as always, marketing.

Regarding IMR powder number designations in their 4 digit series, I don't know the actual reason for each number, but I've always suspected it had something to do with each one's characteristics with each number of the code system meaning something specific to the maker.

Like the military ID systems. For example, the Army designator for a WWII "deuce and a half" truck was CCKW the letters being code for a 6 wheel drive truck. The amphibious version was the DUKW, becoming nicknamed the "duck" for obvious reasons (it swam).

When it comes to names for firearms related things, there are general conventions that are usually followed, but there are no hard and fast rules, not even SAAMI.

There are a variety of schemes to name powders.

I could be wrong,but remember DuPont was making military powder,and Mr Hogdon was salvaging military rifle powder.

I suspect there is a "Data Sheet" of specs or requirements for those military powders. I'm not saying its the gospel fact...but picture if you will a military purchase order for " Smokless Rifle Powder Data # 4895 Four rail cars full"

And the data sheet would have a bunch of specs. Dupont gets the bid. They make and test the powder. Its certified good to spec #4895. Approved. Loaded into 30-06 rounds.

Later,that ammo is surplused and pulled down,or the war ended with rail cars of powder left over. Bruce Hogdon buys it . When he puts it in cans and sells it,what does he call it? Data 4895. Maybe DuPont made commercial IMR 4895. Hogdon salvaged H-4895. Acurate powder may have said "Me,too!! and cooked up Accurate 4895 All the same military spec,but different loading data due to variation.

Thats my guess.

I think that H-380 designation came out of some groups fired that measured O.380 in at 100 yds.

I believe some shotgun/pistol powders used colored granules to help with powder ID. Like "Red Dot,Blue Dot"

"Later,that ammo is surplused and pulled down,or the war ended with rail cars of powder left over. Bruce Hogdon buys it . When he puts it in cans and sells it,what does he call it? Data 4895. Maybe DuPont made commercial IMR 4895. Hogdon salvaged H-4895. Acurate powder may have said "Me,too!! and cooked up Accurate 4895 All the same military spec, but different loading data due to variation."

A lot of truth there, especially when it came to #4895. Each box car was technically a different lot and had to be tested. When Hodgden got it at first it was sold from barrels into a paper bag. You either got a slip or the seller wrote on the bag, "USE 3031 DATA' or USE 4064 DATA") I've seen both and some that you use data for 4320. That powder was all over the place. Finally Hodgden just took it all and blended it into one homogenous powder we know as H4895.

One the difference between H4831 and IMR 4831, what I heard was this. DuPont made IMR 4831 for use in loading 20MM cannon shells during WW2. They never released it in cannister form for handloaders. After the war, Hodgden bout up what as left that had been in storage for some time. During that time it had deteriorated to some degree and was now slower burning than the original Dupont powder. When H4831 became so popular, Dupont started making it for the handloading trade to the original formula which meant it was faster burning than Hodgden's powder. Finally the Hodgden version became too far gone and had to be destroyed.

One powder that Hodgden brought out didn't last very long. That was H205. That was one I really liked in the 30-06. Too bad as the choice of number designation caused some confusion with Norma's N205 which was a lot slower burning. I've always believed that was the reason H205 was discontinued so quickly. Guess I'll never no for sure as Hodgden ain't telling.
Paul B.

Back