What's cookin' in the pot today?

m&p45acp10+1,
Is that mold the one Lee sells for a .459 HB bullet? I already have their 340 gr. & 405 gr FP bullets for my Marlin 45-70. I have considered adding that HB mold to my collection as well. Do you have any feeding problems with your Marlin? That bullet looks longer than the ones I use.
Thanks,
Cary

That is indeed the HB mold that Lee sells. It is by far the best Lee mold I own. I have no feeding problems at all with this bullet. I crimp in the crimping groove, which is not realy a groove, but more of a slight sholder over the last lube groove. I shoot them as cast after tumble lubing them in LLA. I load them with Trail Boss.

Cast about 250 dead soft HPs last weekend for my own attempt at a non +p FBI load, and almost 900 of the wadcutters this weekend from an old Modern Bond mold. Instead of a life, I have a lead pot.

DSCN0262_zps6fab7181.jpg

Pinochle and golf with friends and neighbors? No way, like the man said, the more people I meet the better I like my dogs.

.459 HBRNFP 405 grain. They drop at about 395 to 398 with COWW alloy. They shoot like laser beams from my Marlin with 16 inch barrel going at just a tad over 1100 FPS.
Nice!!! :D My 1895G has an 18-1/2" barrel. Which one has a 16 inch?

Salvadore, those wadcutters and HPs in post #23 are awesome!:)

That's my plan too. I remember the 106 degree days of last summer all too well and since i cast outdoors, I'm definitely not casting then. I have almost cast enough for the year now, and I'm off this week, so I'm going to probably finish out my stocking. I'll still do round balls all year, but I can cast enough round balls in 30 minutes to feel productive about it. I don't get out the equipment and try to find my rhythm with the HP molds if I don't have at least 3 hours to commit to the project. :)

Last edited:
Cooked up 200 R.E.A.L boolits and 500ish RB's for my sisters .36 cap lock. Man it takes a long time to fill a box with them little guys :D I mostly cast .50, .58 and .62 cal. I've been avoiding the .32's because there never seems to be an end to the box. :mad: Although they are like bottomless pits at the range. :D

Back