What's available for steel frame .40s?

I currently have five, .40's. A Glock 23 in plastic frame, a Sig P226 with its alloy frame, and a Bersa Thunder Pro .40 with alloy grip. But I've also kept two with steel frames. Neither of the latter mentioned steel frames are on the inexpensive side...but well worth the money, as they're 'keepers'.

the first is a Colt Gold Cup Elite Pistol, in 40 S&W, a relatively rare pistol. As built by Colt 25+ years ago, IIRC, it was and is very accurate, but not as good as the pair of Gold Cups in .45 ACP that I've owned. I like the gun, but shoot it rarely, as it's too heavy to carry on a daily basis, and much too valuable as well. There's one on GB right now at$1183 with several days to go.

The second is a .40 Browning Hi-Power that's far more accurate than the the Glock and Sig P226 first mentioned. That Browning's accuracy compares favorably to my Colt Gold Cups in .45 ACP. While I'm not enthralled with the high mounted adjustable sights, from an esthetic standpoint, they do make sighting a variety of bullet weights an easy task.

If you're willing to spend the bucks now, (ie. before Browning Hi-Powers go the route of the Colt Python), you'll have an unusual pistol, a classic in the true definition of the word, and an heirloom you'll treasure over the years.

Mine will throw a magazine full of 135 or, 155 gr JHP's, 165 gr LSWC's, or 180 FMJ's in to neat little 2" groups at 25 yds from rest. Lastly, the Hi-Power, whether 9mm or .40 S&W, in the estimation of many, has the finest 'feel in the hand' of any semi-auto pistol. For me personally, having carried one in peace and war, it's the standard by which all others are judged.

Here are a cpl pics to whet your interest. The first is one that I treasure, the Mklll Hi-Power, dressed up with Hogue grips. The 2nd, while a 9mm, demonstrates the beauty of a two-tone, occasionally to be found in .40 S&W on GB for less than a grand. The 3rd is the Colt with a Wilson Mag loaded up.

Truth be told, either Hi-Power represents the upward limit of my personal carry weight pistols. But their superb feel in the hand is worth extra heft. YMMv but I HTH's Rod

Last edited:
I know this is out of the scope of the OPs idea, but my 6.5" stainless 10mm
Ruger Blackhawk came with a 40 S&W cylinder. I like 40, and 10mm, and the Blackhawk in 40 is a hoot.

Steel 40

Springfield EMP 40... great pistol, carry it everyday. Can be found for a bit more than 600 used but solid and accurate. Never a hiccup with mine and several thousand rounds through it. The 9mm is an alloy but the 40 is all steel.

I know this is out of the scope of the OPs idea, but my 6.5" stainless 10mm
Ruger Blackhawk came with a 40 S&W cylinder. I like 40, and 10mm, and the Blackhawk in 40 is a hoot.
With all the .40 ammo I have and my intention to buy a 10mm Glock and reload for it, I wouldn't mind having a 10mm/.40 revolver, but it's not something I need and it wouldn't be cheap either.

I scored an "Uzi Eagle" CZ-75 clone from a pawn shop for $275 out the door. All steel, Israeli made TDA/SA pistol.

Also, CDNN and Classic Firearms have been having a lot of Police trade SiG P-22X series gun in .40 or .357 stupid cheap lately.

If the driving force behind this discussion is the wonderfully LOW prices on .40cal guns... then this post should be disregarded.

If we are talking about steel frame .40cal pistols that are still being made or recently made, the CZ Tactical Sport is a phenomenal handgun.

The regular original Tac Sport is now recently out of production, the new Tac Sport Orange has replaced it. Neither is going to be found ANYWHERE near the prices of all the other guns we've discussed here but this is an ELITE, top-drawer pistol. I've had my .40cal Tac Sport now for about 10 months and every range trip is ear to ear grins.

Not cheap, but easy enough to find. I think the new Orange is a solid value considering the upgrades they added, but the REAL deal is to find a clean older Tac Sport for a good price. Mine is a rolling riot and makes every range trip.

Back