What's available for steel frame .40s?

TruthTellers

With .40 being treated like it's the cause for leprosy and we're not under gun buying panic conditions, prices for all used .40 caliber guns are cheap right now, steel frames included.

Besides Kahr, S&W, and Beretta, who else has made steel frame .40 semi pistols?

I'm normally not a steel frame guy, but tomorrow's not a guarantee and I'd like to see how a heavier steel pistol tames the .40's recoil.

Last edited:
The Beretta frame is aluminum alloy I believe. SIG P229 and P226 are also aluminum alloy that is anodized and the locking insert is steel. But you stated steel frame material which is why options are very limited. There are lots of nice used SIG P229s in .40 these days at around $400 and even a little less and it is a very robust design and tames .40 recoil very well.

A Sig P226 Elite Stainless in .40 would be a good choice if you could find a good used one at a decent price. I have an alloy-framed P226/40 and it is a good shooting pistol.

In addition to the 4006 which isn't too hard to find, the market has been brimming lately with CHP issued 4006 TSW pistols. While I have never been a big fan of the gaudy billboard TSW series, it's seemingly agreed upon that these CHP issued .40cals are even better than the old warhorse 4006's.

I have a Daewoo DH40 .40 S&W pistol that has been a sweet shooter. I carried it for many years in my vehicle. It's accurate and feels nice in the hand. I did have an internal part break in a shooting session and a local gun smith repaired it for me. The downside with Daewoo's are parts and magazines, but they are really nice weapons.

I have a Daewoo DH40 .40 S&W pistol that has been a sweet shooter. I carried it for many years in my vehicle. It's accurate and feels nice in the hand. I did have an internal part break in a shooting session and a local gun smith repaired it for me. The downside with Daewoo's are parts and magazines, but they are really nice weapons.

Hmm, yeah.

If the original poster is interested in older pistols, there's also Star. The Firestar was made in a .40 version. Probably other Star models as well.

star-firestar-m40-1.gif

For $600 you can buy many of the mentioned guns brand new. I thought the thread was about a good deal on used guns...

For $600 you can buy many of the mentioned guns brand new. I thought the thread was about a good deal on used guns...
For the more premium brand names like Sig, S&W I was figuring brand new they must cost 700 or more.

Ideally I'd like a steel .40 to be under $400, but I'm sure there will be some good ones that will be around the 450 price.

So far the S&W steel .40's have my attention and I'll have to look at the CZ's tho I've never been interested in CZ pistols

I've had a CZ 75 B in 9mm for a number of years and never liked it much. The gun is solid but the trigger sucked. I replaced the hammer and sear with a Cajun Gun Works adjustable set and that changed has transformed it dramatically.

Lately I've been doing a lot of handgun shooting at 100 yards and the CZ is the only semi-auto that can hit the plates as reliably as my accurate revolvers.

Back