What's an excellent varmint scope?

I'm in the same boat as you Hotshot, my eyes are just not what they used to be so I've started buying higher power scopes. My last 2 purchases are both well above your stated spending limit but I'll share my experiences with them to add to the confusion :D

I put a Swarovski Z5 5-25x52 on my heavy weight big game rifle. This is by far the clearest, best clarity scope I have ever owned or used. My local range goes out to 550 yards and I usually only have the scope on 15 powder when shooting clay pigeons at that distance. I took this rig to a long range school last year and was shooting old 5 gallon propane tanks (empty of course) at 800 to 1200 yards with no problem, both in clear weather and while it was pouring rain. I can't say enough about how pleased I am with this scope.

My last purchase was a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50FFP with illuminated EBR-2C reticle for a tactical rig I'm piecing together. The glass is on par with my early 90's model VX3, which is to say it's good in my opinion. When I'm trying those clays at 550 with this scope I typically have the magnification up though, around 20 power, as it is not as clear as the Swarovski. When doing my load workup for it I shot a 2"x2" square at 300 yards and had no problem seeing it with the scope on 15 power.

For what you're doing and what you want to spend I would look closely at the Vortex Viper HS series. Cabelas has a sale on them and the 6-24x50 is only $400.

Most of the info has moved me in certain directions different from where I started and has been excellent. thanks to all

I am now looking at several scopes that are not as expensive as the Leupold like Weaver SS on sale for $370 but sounds as though the quality is comparable. Also looking at used Leupolds that with their guarantee puts me at ease getting a used one in the $4-500 range.

Allen's comments regarding the swarvorski got me drooling. I have a pair of their binoculars and they are nothing less than the best. But for shooting muskrats it is hard for me to justify. I am going to look at his suggestion re: Vortex on sale . Sounds like it could also be a good value. To be continued.

There's always eBay,

Some go surprisingly cheap.... Sometime a group of scopes in a lot....

I've got several on the way to me... But I'm seeking out vintage weavers
I've passed over several modern scopes... Many sellers have good descriptions and will answer questions

I checked out the Vortex 6-24 HS at Cabala's and got a great deal on one.

The $600 scope was on sale for $399 (no one on the net could even come close to that price) and I had $70 of credits from previous purchases so the scope cost me $329. Such a deal.

Thanks to everyone for the help and great info. I am convinced that I have plenty of quality and functionality to deal with my muskrats come spring time when I get back to my NY farm.

Thanks again. Bye for now.

Hunting muskrats isn't legal in a lot of places. Muskrats are considered fur bearers in New York. There is a muskrat hunting season, requires a hunting licence and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation doesn't care about your pond. No .223's allowed either. .22 RF only. You'd best check that first.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html
And trying to rid your pond of 'em is very likely an exercise in futility anyway. Kind of like trying to rid farmland of ground hogs. Kill one, five more move in.
"...There's always eBay..." If you want to give your money to the people who want to take your firearms away from you.

T O'Heir thank you for your precautions about my situation.

Unfortunately you are incorrect on all counts.

Muskrats fall into the fur bearing legislation of NYS with one exception; hunting them in lake Champlain. That means, other than on lake Champlain, there is no season, can shoot them with just about anything, and at night if you will.

Your last comment about ridding my pond of the rats is also incorrect. I have done it the last two years with a 22 mag, shotgun, and 223 Ruger w Leupold VX 4 power 3-9.

Will they come back, of course and that is where my new 6-24 scope will help my old eyes do a better job than my 3-9.

I see a lot of scopes as a gunsmith, and I sell a few scopes and don't want the customers coming back upset. I have installed Vortex Diamondback and Viper scopes, some Bushnell Elite scopes, and of course Leupold. For the money, Vortex scopes are a bargain, they are clear and bright. Bushnell Elite scopes are very nice for the money, but no better than a comparably priced Leupold. And Leupold scopes are, well, Leupolds! Always good, always reliable, and with a lifetime warranty you will love if you ever have to use it.

I would take a look at the Leopold tactical line. The Mark 4's are really nice. I have one on a .222 Rem and one on a 6.5 x 284 Norma. Both are excellent whistle pig medicine.

I'm old-school, starting my varmint hunting on woodchucks and crows in Maine, during the early 60's with a Savage 110, .30-06 and Weaver 2.5X scope. My corrected eyesight is 20-15, perhaps a bit better when younger, but have shot woodchucks out to 450 yards with that rig, averaging 230 yards one particular year. No fancy bipods, just a home-made, jam it in the ground, 8" rest.

That said, for Eastern varmint hunting, especially where shots can be quick and on running 'yotes, I like a 3-9X Leupold VX2 on my .223 Rem. I don't have to fool with AO focus and the rifle is sighted-in to be an inch high at 200 yards, so pretty much point-blank to about 250 and about 5" low at 300, depending on bullet/load.

When sitting and calling, I may have a unipod to use for the longer shots, but don't often use it on shots under 200 yards.

Indiana muskrats

As I read your muskrat story I wondered where are these muskrats?Maybe Indiana's are different,but on my farm my tactics sure are.I start walkiing slowly along side the creek.Normally I take my 1100 12 ga.and K-.22.I try to be quiet and use my eyes.Shots at less than 30yds.This has worked for many years.And at 73 the exercise is good for me.Best of luck! :D

Back