What's a unsafe trigger for hunting.

You could just look at it and it would go off!!!:o

Do a drop test from atop a 10 foot high step ladder.:cool:

I like a 3 1/2# single stage trigger for field work.

Last edited:
It's not the safety off. You cannot count on the safety. You must act as though there's no safety if a round is in the chamber.

Any rifle that is loaded; I will carry with my hand protecting the trigger guard... Safety or no safety, doesn't matter the trigger pull..

I wouldn't stalk or hunt with a 1lb trigger pull. That would be bench rest only.

But absent a set trigger, I want 3-lbs single stage

There's a thought.

I was really impressed when I found out some CZ rifles came with a set trigger. I always thought liability concerns stopped manufacturers from using set triggers. Obviously not.

I have seen a lot of factory replacement triggers that were dangerous on old military rifles. Sometimes there is just too much wiggle between the parts. I would not care for a trigger that light on a hunting rifle.

1 pound is a good pull for long range shooting , if you like it fine . I would not let anyone not use to light triggers hunt with it .

After years of practice, I am using 8 ounce to 1 ounce triggers in Small Bore Prone competition. But I would not use a trigger less than three pounds hunting.

Back in the 70s, Hunter Safety courses taught the lightest a field trigger should be was 3lbs.

Lighter triggers are useful, or can be, on target guns and varmint rifles, but have no place in the big game fields, or stalking small game. The comment about gloves is very apt. Cold means gloves, and a very light trigger can be pulled by your glove before you even realize your finger is contacting the trigger.

I do like very light triggers, even under 1lb for some specific tasks, but not for general hunting. Its an accident waiting to happen.

"You could just look at it and it would go off!!!

Do a drop test from atop a 10 foot high step ladder.

I like a 3 1/2# single stage trigger for field work.
Last edited by Erno86; Yesterday at 03:47 PM."

I would gladly do this with YOUR rifle !!!

No one other than myself hunts with mine, and mine are setup the way I like them and have been bump tested to my satisfaction.

As I repeatedly say with respect, YMMV = Your Method May Vary.

I hunt with a bunch of different trigger weights. I normally hunt with a rifles that has a trigger set at 1.5 to 4 lbs and some even heavier. I also hunt deer and pronghorn with a rifle with set triggers and when set it's at 4 ounces. To shoot it without the trigger set is a mile of creep and a very heavy trigger pull, but at least if I can't make the shot I can release the set on the trigger if I have to.

I had an AD once while hunting, and it had nothing to do with the Timney trigger that I had set at 2 lbs. It had everything to do with me being an IDIOT in a hurry. No my finger wasn't on the trigger but I had something stuck in the trigger guard and wasn't paying attention to things. Luckily all that was damaged was my trucks floor board and an oil filter.

Right around 3 lbs is what I like on a general purpose hunting rifle. I can make do with a bit more or less and don't really consider 2 lbs to be unsafe. I have several rifles and it is just easier for me to have them all as close to being the same as possible. 3 lbs is as light as most of them can be set easily so I try to set them all as close as possible to 3 just to keep things similar.

Under certain conditions 1 lb would be OK, such as a dedicated varmint rifle. To my mind the biggest problem would be trying to use it with gloves on.

5 Pounds.

You need to intend to fire it.

You don't really need hair triggers just good technique.

Up Close it doesn't matter. 10 Pounds is good in a Military/Police handgun.

Don't want to accidentally shoot a friendly golden retriever in the dark.

I can make a 5 lb trigger work, especially from a bench, with acceptable accuracy. But that is a bit excessive, 3-4 lbs shouldn't result in unintentional discharges. Between 2-3 is still safe in my opinion, just might need to use extra caution especially if hunting with gloves on.

Back