Whats a good pistol for production class IPSC shooting?

Cerick

What do you guys think a good gun for production class shooting would be?

I was thinking either a Smith and Wesson M&P 9L, a Sig P226 elite .40, or waiting to see if the XD-M is made in 9mm. (that is if they allow that in production class.) I'm kinda leaning towards the Smith at this point.

I just completed a new shooter's clinic for IPSC and used my new XD 9 Service. It performed very well. Two stages were set up for us to try after the instruction and that XD was awesome. I was very impressed with it, especially since I'd only put 100 rounds through it the week before and wasn't completely confident in it befor the class.

I'm shooting the XD in a couple weeks in my first match. I'll let you know how it goes.

I use my HK USP .40 and love it. never jams, shoots nice and straight, and the recoil reduction makes it a joy to shoot all day even on the longest stages and matches.

leaning with you

I admit it: Production Division is the only Division I choose not to compete in, but that S&W M&P handles nice....and as its popularity continues to grow more and more aftermarket support will grow with it.
In 9x19, yep.

I really believe in Production the shooter matters (way way) more.......

A33102

lots of guns to choose from...make sure your gun of choice is on the list of approved guns though..

the M&PL is not released yet..and not on the list..the XD-M is not on the list..
they probably will be..and most likely at the club level..it won't be an issue..but check first.

look at what is successful..the Glock, CZ, XD, M&P all do well in competition..they are reliable, accurate and easy to support..

the m&pL is on the list already. The m&p Pro is not approved. (probably because of the sub 5lb trigger pull)

As far as the XD's go, the production division list just says all XD's that arent ported. It makes no mention of the XD-M.

IPSC.org

be aware USPSA has its own rule book with some differences from the IPSC rulebook...as with the approved production gun list. USPSA has no trigger limits..and allows some modifications to the gun.

the XD's are specifically listed by caliber and size..and only four models of the M&P are approved.

there is no doubt the M&P L will be approved..as the XD-M..but for now they are not on the USPSA list

do a search here for the exact same question and you will get many hits back.

Personally I use a 92FS because that is what i had when I started and it has proven the most reliable and accurate. Lost of folks prefer teh glocks or XD's, but be careful with the XD. It is a great gun, but getting parts for it are hard. Springfield has the warranty on their XD line and they like to fix the problems not you. Personally I have not had any problems with my XD's (a 40 and a 45 both with over 4000 rounds each), but just don't like the fact that getting spare parts is a hard task (not impossible, just hard). And if your gun breaks you want to have spare parts on hand to fix it and get back in the game.

JOE

My crystal ball needs polishing, but I think I'd get something with a conventional DA/SA trigger, like a SP-01, against the day that striker-fired guns are moved to the other divisions. The modern Glock, XD, M&P, etc. are more like the single action 1911 than they are like the DA/SA guns from SIG, CZ, Beretta, etc., and the rules should be adjusted accordingly.

The modern Glock, XD, M&P, etc. are more like the single action 1911...
My Glock and my 1911 guns are nowhere near alike. Heard any rumors about USPSA or IPSC moving the striker fired guns into another division? Of course, they can shoot in other divisions now. Not many do. Production is more about shooting plain everyday guns, and less about SA/DA, etc.

That said....I see mostly Glock and Beretta 92 in Production. If I shoot Production, I will break out my G17.

Lee

I shoot the M&P 9mm standard pistol - with a trigger job to lighten the pull to @ 3.5lbs. Great gun - has functioned fine the past 6 months at our USPSA matches.

Around here.. the favored Production gun is either a Glock 17 or 34. I use a Sig 229 (it's what I have) but I'll soon be using my 627 wheel gun. I see a few Glock 35's (40's downloaded to minor) and the occasional Para LDA. I have only seen a 92 once or twice, I've seen an H&K P7M8 once, and CZ's seem to be popular too.

Glocks own Production. Nothing else is even close. There is a reason for this. If you reload go with the G35. You can shoot it in Production, Limited 10 and Limited.
If you don't then the G17 or G34 will work.

Production is cool because there are LOTS of viable choices for a gun.

Glock
Beretta
Sig
CZ
M&P
XD
Para LDA

That covers most of them.

You can be competitive with any of those. Pick the one that fits your hand and looks cool... then it is off to the races.

I know the Glocks pretty much dominate production class. I talked to a really good IPSC shooter who competes with the country's top shooters and he told me the same thing. WHY? Is it just because many more people own glocks than any other type of production class weapon? Is it because glock sponsers the best shooters?

Im not sure why exactly but I dont really like glocks. They're ugly, I dont like the ergonomics and grip angle, and dont care for the way they shoot. I think I'm goin with the M&P 9L

Glocks dominate because Glocks dominate. There are lots of parts and technical guides and accessories available for them. So that pulls people towards glock.

The other big reason is the trigger.

Most people have trouble with double action triggers... so they gravitate away from Beretta, CZ, and Sig.

Glocks dominate because they're easy..

for the vast majority of people..they can shoot them reasonably well..they are reasonably accurate, reliable..
the aftermarket is primed for Glock..lots of stuff out there for them..

are they the best..only you can decide that..because you are the one shooting it.

if you look at the top shooters..they shoot all the platforms..any top 16 of nationals..will have Smith, Springfield, CZ, Glock, Beretta.

there are tons of other guns that can compete too..HK, Ruger, Taurus.

pick a gun that fits you..and you can shoot..

look at Ben's website....and he shoots a Beretta :)

After shooting a M&P 9, Glock 17, and a sig p226 elite .40, I've changed my opinion. I DONT like the smith and wesson. Trigger felt too weird. I DO like glocks now. Still think they are really ugly, but I shoot them well. I also like the sig. I shot it well and its purty. Now I have to decide between the glock 17, sig p 226 elite .40, or even a XD-M.

Decisions decisions decisions!

NOW you're in no-brainer land

Glock M17, available everywhere, cheap to buy used, cheap magazines, plenty of product support including holsters.

Glock's best gun.

Back