whats a good low-end bolt rifle

Wheel Man-
Watch the local auction lists. Thats how I found this one. I was looking at a bunch of Garands they had, but when the CZ started slow...I jumped on it. I did not find the Garand I wanted to bid on...so the CZ was my buy of the day (with a Taurus 44CP and an S&W 909 9mm.)

I am not sure if the OP has decided on a rifle yet, but I just handled a Marlin XS7 a couple days ago and although I think the fit/finish is a little rough it seems to be the bees-knees for an ultra-low budget rifle. This one was $359 for stainless/synthetic and even though it had a flimsy tupperware stock, I think the pillar bedding might make up for it. I didnt necessarily like the pencil-thin barrel, but it sure was light. It looks like it has a similar barrel nut to the Savage so I imagine a new tube is easy to do. This may be the platform for my next rifle. I know the OP wanted a 7mm rem. mag, but I am commenting more for those looking for a super-cheap gun in the class of the Stevens 200.

All other things being equal, I would choose the Marlin XL-7 over the Stevens 200 simply because of the vastly better trigger on the Marlin. I hunted for years with a pair of Savages I bought in 2000. Both of them have Timney triggers because I just couldn't live with the gritty, hard pulls of the factory units.

The Stevens 200 rifles have the same bad trigger. The Marlin has a very functional ripoff of the Accutrigger.

If people wouldn't buy a rifle because of the trigger, hell nobody would buy winchesters, remingtons, weatherby's...etc...... The Stevens 200 has a workable trigger, and there are aftermarket triggers for such a cause.

I'm amazed nobody mentioned the Darling of the Gun Writers...the Marlin X-7!

Even during all the trouble Marlin's had switching the plants over, the X-7's have maintained their quality...

Sub-MOA starting at $299...Adjustable target trigger (Profire), pillar bedded at the factory, factory recoil pad, fluted bolt, button-rifled barrel...
the list goes on...
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...on/default.asp

Even on the Marlin forums, issues are Rare...usually owner-stupidity & bad reloads...

Bottom line, it'll shoot better for less cost, which leaves you room to hook up a really nice scope!!

My next purchase will be an X-7VH in .308!! Heavy Barrel Goodness for $350!!

BINGO! I have one in .270 and it is amazing. Would put it up against anything on this list.

Here is a good link: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7.asp

Last edited:
Savage is the best value. Hunting guns take a licking. I've never lost a day with a Savage. You don't get the trim, but they deliver solid accuracy.

baddarryl - Boy would i love to take you up on that offer, Im always up for a challange:D. We play tic tac toe with 9MM cases at 100 yards for fun

baddarryl - Boy would i love to take you up on that offer, Im always up for a challange. We play tic tac toe with 9MM cases at 100 yards for fun

Too bad NC is a long drive from Minn! Sure I have some Swedish relatives up there though. M41 Sniper rifle anyone? Lol! Seriously my Xl7 did a 5/8 group with Core Lokt's the only time I ever checked it. Maybe better out there, but for what i paid it is certainly good enough for me and I most others I should think.

Too bad NC is a long drive from Minn

Yes it is. That is some fine shooting for sure. I should someday try a box of store ammo in it. I have 4 Savages now and none of them have ever seen a store bought round yet. I just consider a die purchase part of buying a rifle or pistol.

I think I will be there soon. Commercial ammo is getting insanely priced. Seriously I sometimes reconsider (just a little) due to the bad rap that late model Marlins get on the net, but every time I handle mine I realize that is just noise. I also have a 981T .22 that is bulls eye accurate on a squirrels noggin!

I'm reasonably fond of my Mossberg 100 ATR (.308). The barrel crown has proven a nice feature...the fluting is cosmetic. The action has gotten pretty smooth...the best feature is the trigger (accuracy is excellent also)...the worst feature is the polymer stock. It's probably the worst plastic stock this side of the stevens or Remington 770 (nowhere near the Rem700 SPS). The blueing is actually pretty sturdy as it's spent plenty of time in the mud & rain and no issues

I'm currently debating whether to buy a Boyd laminate after-market stock or whether to trade it in for a Rem700 SPS, or Ruger M77HMR (wood). But for it's price vs performance...it's been a nice buy. Others in the sub-$400 that peaked my interest were Marlin XL-7 and Howa 1500.

I have a Mossberg, also. Mine's 7mm-08. Shoots pretty well--improving as I put more rounds through it. Definitely a utility gun with an ordinary stock, as previously mentioned. I don't feel as though I wasted my money.

You can get a remington 700 for way less than $800 right now. Heck you can get into the Rem 700 line for less than half that.

I was recently looking for a "budget" deer rifle for this deer season. Local hardware store had a variety of budget deer rifles in stock included Remington 770, Savage Axis, and Ruger American. Of those I liked the Ruger American the most. My choice though was a used Savage 110 in 270win they had for $275 with a Tasco scope. I had it out to the range this week, and I have to say it's a decent gun. So my recommendation would be a used 110 or the Ruger American.

Back