whats a good low-end bolt rifle

jabames

There's standard rifles that companies make, like the rem 700 win 70 etc, but is there any low price versions that they sell whom ever they be? I'm lookin fer a 7mm rem mag in a cheaper rifle than normal not those 800 dollar ones.

Savage makes great low-cost bolt rifles. I have a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that's a great rifle, very accurate and I don't worry at all about taking it out in the woods.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a savage 116 in 30-06 with a one-piece base, they make em so far apart couldnt find a scope long enuff for it lol. I might get a used ruger m77 in 7mm dont know if I shud get that or a new savage 110 as u suggested.

I own a Weatherby vanguard in 7mm mag that I bought new for $500 and a buddy of mine bought a vanguard 300 wby mag used for $450. Just last weekend I put three shots in one hole at 100yds measuring .3" and have done this from time to time with good reloads. As for the 300wby mag I never shot it but expect only the best. The weatherby vanguard is the same rifle as the Howard 1500 and are very good rifles for the dollar.

Gunny means Howa, not Howard. Never heard a bad thing about them, and priced well.

Wal-Mart around here carries Remington and Savage, both under $500 if I remember correctly. Either would be a fine starter rifle.

Savage ain't cheap anymore. I'd be buying the TC Venture. About the same price as Savage, but proving to be a much better gun. There is a $50 rebate on them right now which makes them even more appealing. Scope bases are also included in the package.

They don't offer 7 mag, but the Ruger American in 30-06 is pretty close and they sell for $350

weatherby vanguard
T/C Venture
savage
marlin
All have alittle something in that line,Pretty fair rifles also.

Out of all those mentioned, the TC Venture has as many problems as the Rem.
The Savage and the Weatherby do not at this time. For the money these two is what I'd be looking at for sure.;)

Walmarts around me have been selling the Ruger American rifle for under $300. They have some Savage bolt actions too, not sure on the price of those but they are usually reasonable.

Gun Makers Doing Well

I have a friend who has a really well stocked sporting goods store and an amazing rifle and handgun section. I visited him yesterday and he was saying all the US gun makers are so far behind orders he's got guns ordered back from last September! He sells them as soon as they come in. He's very smart as to what he orders btw. No K-Mart or Walmart type of stuff. Only the good stuff.

The new Ruger Americans are impossible to get along with many Savage, Remingtons, Winchesters and others. I did go to Sheel's Sport Center in the Appleton mall and they had a bunch of Ruger Americans. Nice rifles.

This is a good thing for our manufacturers.

Last edited:
The Stevens 200 made my Savage is a great rifle for the money.
Put a decent trigger in them and you will be surprised at the groups they will shoot.
That being said I'm not sure they offer them in 7mag.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

I'm amazed nobody mentioned the Darling of the Gun Writers...the Marlin X-7!

Even during all the trouble Marlin's had switching the plants over, the X-7's have maintained their quality...

Sub-MOA starting at $299...Adjustable target trigger (Profire), pillar bedded at the factory, factory recoil pad, fluted bolt, button-rifled barrel...
the list goes on...
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfireBoltAction/default.asp

Even on the Marlin forums, issues are Rare...usually owner-stupidity & bad reloads...

Bottom line, it'll shoot better for less cost, which leaves you room to hook up a really nice scope!!

My next purchase will be an X-7VH in .308!! Heavy Barrel Goodness for $350!!

"Out of all those mentioned, the TC Venture has as many problems as the Rem."

I'm familiar with last year's recall involving the trigger/sear, but that's the only problem with the Venture of which I am aware. Are there others?

Mine shoots much better than I can, but I will admit I don't think much of that flimsy plastic stock. However, it must be shaped exactly right for me, as recoil for a .270 Win is well attenuated.

Back