Whats 250 grain @ 800-850 fps good for?

Whats 250 grain @ 800-850 fps good for?

Presuming it's a SWC hard cast slug then I'd say anything from small deer on down.

I use 240gr SWCs at about 900 fps in my 629-1 for woods carry. It's pretty much a .357 magnum in power.

Deaf

There have been a lot of attacks by roving bands of chipmunks and gophers around here, I've had to use my Vaquero to ventilate a bunch of them, knocked the heads off several grouse for supper too. I don't really need a load that comes screaming out the barrel, 850fps is much more enjoyable to shoot.

I have killed an Idaho Mule deer (only a 4 point) with a 125 grain 357 magnum going about 1100 fps from my j-frame and it worked well enough at about 20 yards.

If you are talking about a .44 Spl load, that is not a bad load for most anything in the lower 48. A couple of hundred FPS more, it may be one of the best all a round loads ever.

It's a simple load, but effective against a LOT of stuff. Whether it's a .44 or .45, a 240-280gr hardcast bullet at 850-1000 fps is enough for nearly anything that walks and is easy to shoot too.

While I agree the load specified will work from cottontail to thug to venison,and pretty much anything a sidearm was intended for....

It IS a Ruger Blackhawk...

So you have the option of turning to the page in your loading manual that says "Ruger Loads Only"

If you choose to.

Seems like I recall Ross Seifred went to Africa and took a cape buffalo with a 7 1/2 in Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk 45 Colt

Admittedly,you won't find his load published in a load manual.

Odd. That's my standard load in .45 Colt

I have a Cimarron Model P copy in .45 Colt. I developed a load using a 250 or 255 lead SWC bullet and a dose of Power Pistol that pushes said bullet at 760 give or take a bit.

Since the .45 ACP 'ball' round is a 230 RNJ bullet at 825+/-, this .45 Colt load should be reasonably similar in effectiveness.

Also, it is not a maximum load; it is easy to unload fired brass; it shoots to the sights, and is reasonable to control. It does pretty much everything I want done.

Back