Whats 250 grain @ 800-850 fps good for?

Lets say .45 cal hardcast flat point chrony @ 800-850 fps out of a Ruger 4 5/8" blackhawk whats it good for besides plinking?

It would make a big hole in bad guy's chest. Not as big a mess as that same weight of bullet going at .44mag speed but still enough to be a reasonable SD round.

CAS or any other shooting game. Or hunting those wee deer you have in Texas. Big and slow isn't a bad thing.
Still isn't unusually slow anyway. A max load of Clays out Hodgdon's 7.25" barrel runs 817 fps.

Self defense. Plausible to hunt with that too.

A load like that will make a decent sized hole, and it will penetrate a good amount too. It could be used for hunting with careful shot placement. Ie. don't count on 'hydrostatic shock' making the kill. Obviously not the ideal choice, but the point is, that if you put that bullet in the right place it should go deep enough to kill reliably.

That was my load for uspsa when I was competing. Maybe a little slower but pretty darn close. Low recoil. Easy to shoot

I agree with all the things posted above. 45 cal 230 grain hardcast tc @ 855-900 fps regardless if its 45 Colt or 45acp is good for most critters Texans would encounter with 35 yards max shots. Seems if I say hey taking my 45 Colt Blackhawk deer hunting folks say good choice, but if I say hey taking my Colt 1991 deer hunting people say oh no how inhumane you need more power. Why?

Last edited:
bullet choice is everything... a semi wad cutter in a Black hawk = good for deer in my book...

a wildly expanding hollow point in 45 auto... perhaps not so good for deer... however both would IMO, be equally good for 2 legged varmints...;)

Been killing men since 1873.

standard.jpg

There's plenty of power in that load.
A 200 grain bullet, traveling at 850f/s will knock down a 50 lb full size steel popper real quick.

It'll ventilate a pig nicely.

Quantity has a quality all it's own. 250 grains is a lot of quantity.

Think of it as a 45 ACP with a little more weight behind it.

A good Keith bullet is multi purpose

That load is easy to shoot, accurate and will penetrate quite well with a good wound channel.
I'd prefer a bit more weight in my slugs(say the RCBS SAA 270grn) but that velocity is just about right.

A the distance a pistol was meant for it will just about do anything you ask it to do. Im sorry, but I fail to see the sense behind this question.

Guess my point is 45acp 230 hardcast TC or FP bullet traveling between 800-900 fps is just not given enough credit sometimes:( especially when it comes to short range hunting. Its darn close in performance with the 250/255 Colt 800 fps loads that have taken all sorts of game. Thanks for all the opinions guys:)

I've killed two deer with handguns, one (the first one) was with a 1911 in 45 ACP, the other was with a S&W model 27 in 357 mag.

Both deer were average size Missouri bucks, the first an 8 point the second was a 6 point.

I plan on taking my third deer this year with a handgun, I'm not antler hunting so it will be the first legal deer that comes by, I actually prefer a doe.

I'll be using my Cimarron Uberti 45 Colt shooting a 255 gr SWC at a velocity of 950 FPS, that should easily handle any deer in Missouri.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Simple answer.
About 90% of anything you'd want a handgun to do.
Not entirely sure I agree, about anything it won't do I'd rather have a longgun anyway, so I think it's a lot closer to 100%.

Back