What would you use in a Derringer?

What would you use in a Derringer? (Choose all that apply)

Votes: 13 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 4 4.4%

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • 9mm

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • 10mm

• .357 Magnum

• .41 Magnum

• .44 Special

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • .44 Magnum

• .45 ACP

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • .44 Magnum

• .410 Bore

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • .454 Casull

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • .460 Magnum

• .50 AE

• .500 S&W Magnum

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a derringer in .45 Colt would make a great backup gun. 2 extra shots of .45 Colt would be a benefit to anyone I would think and should be pretty easy to conceal. I'll bet it would be a handful to shoot, sounds like fun to me.

Stu

I like derringers because they are fun and unique. They are poor choices for a backup gun. The big nor ones are actually bigger and harder to conceal than the micro 32/380s. Give me a 5 shot NAA 22 mag or a 6 shot 380 for a backup gun

It's be hard to defend in court or explain to a LE investigator too.
Huh?..
It's be hard to figure what the heck you are talking about!
What would the style of a legally owned, and used firearm, by a licensed individual have to do with an investigation, or court case?

.22 or .38, it really doesn't matter because it's just for show as part of my Old West attire and I can't afford an authentic .41rf one.

I bet if you asked what is the best handgun caliber, the chart would look about the same. If there was clearly a best caliber, it wouldn't take long for the other calibers to go along the wayside.

I have a NAA .22mag 1 5/8" bbl. loaded with snake shot its a good little carry-a-long when fishing or hiking and water moccasins or rattlers are too close.

loaded with regular ammo it is an easy carried last ditch onion fields gun.

I'd want one in one of the ridiculously huge calibers just for fun. The recoil on it would probably suck a lot, but if you mastered it, you could probably shoot just about anything after that.

I don't believe they make the proper chambering for a passable self-defense deringer. The Semmerling comes close, but it is expensive, if you can find one. There is also a single-shot (45ACP Downsizer) that is a BEAR to shoot, but I don't know if they are still available, either. A replica of the WWII "Liberator" might be handy.

If I were able to start from scratch, I would make a wildcat cartridge. I would go for the shortest case that could contain enough of a high energy-dense powder to deliver the largest diameter bullet I could hide on my person (the bullet diameter will determine the width of the gun).

The shortest case will allow the maximum barrel length for the longest possible acceleration time within a given overall firearm length.

So, take a 500 S&W, 45 ACP or 45 Colt cartridge case, cut the length to match the depth of Bullseye powder that delivers maximum pressure. Ream the inside of the case to proper diameter if necessary). That means a short casing.

The .45GAP comes to mind if you are not inclined to modify your brass, but don't EVER let an adequately loaded 45 GAP cartridge get near a stock Glock.

I would be inclined to take 45 ACP brass, cut to a dimension shorter than 45GAP, and have a 45 ACP deringer rebarrelled to fit that brass. Then load it with an energy-dense powder and watch for pressure signs as I worked up to maximum velocities or 100% density.

I would also tr to find a grip/handle that gave my hand enough to hold onto without being impossible to hide. A spring-powered folding handle is something I have never seen, but if my life depended on a deep-concealment two-shot hideout gun, I would not spare the expense.

Lost Sheep

Not strictly a deringer

I have longed for a two-shot over-under pistol like this:

6" to 8" barrel. Over-under. Chambered for 454 Casull, 460 Smith or 500 Smith. Intended for holster carry in the woods for defense against dangerous game.

A modern version of the Howdah pistols of the century before last, favored in Africa by professional hunters and guides for last-ditch efforts against dangerous (wounded) large game.

Lighter than a full-sized revolver and equally powerful. In a defensive situation, you likely do not have time for more than two shots anyway.

Lost Sheep

A modern version of the Howdah pistols of the century before last, favored in Africa by professional hunters and guides for last-ditch efforts against dangerous (wounded) large game.

Well, I'm one shot away from that with my G2 Contender with the 10 inch 45-70 barrel on It!:D
It's a lot of fun to plink with to..........for a few shots!:eek:

I remember a bud who had a derringer in either 44 Mag or 45 LC. He said the recoil was stout.

I can't recall shooting one, but I would shoot one before getting a big bore derringer. Might cut the web of your hand shooting the thing.

I don't see much point in a derringer as a defense gun given all the other options, but it could be a fun "toy". I might consider one in 38, 9mm, or 22lr if I found one at the right price and the impulse struck me.

My only derringer-ish gun is my EDC gun, my NAA Mini Revolver in .22 Magnum. In a typical over/under derringer like a Bond, I would go with either .32 Long or .38 Special. I would find anything more powerful to be very difficult to control under the stress of resisting a felonious assault.

Funny thing is I have been thinking about getting one of these this new year just because and perhaps as a rare BUG. In my situation I am all about practicality relative to monetary expenditure so I will purchase one in a caliber I already have well stocked on hand .45auto/LC.

No thanks. No derringer for this guy. I can't think of any good use except for a novelty gun and there's no place in my line up for novelties. Rather spend the money on reloading supplies or use it towards a better suiting platform for what I expect from a firearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back