What would you use in a Derringer?

What would you use in a Derringer? (Choose all that apply)

Votes: 13 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 4 4.4%

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • 9mm

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • 10mm

• .357 Magnum

• .41 Magnum

• .44 Special

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • .44 Magnum

• .45 ACP

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • .44 Magnum

• .410 Bore

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • .454 Casull

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • .460 Magnum

• .50 AE

• .500 S&W Magnum

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

What would you use in a Derringer? Add comments in this thread. I originally was going to allow for multiple choices but screwed up the poll entry :)

Last edited:
I've got three derringers, .22lr, .38spl., and .45acp, I tried to check all three but the poll wouldn't let me.

As to the question, "What would I use?" I have carried all of them at one time or another, and some times I have carried two of them at the same time.

I worked, part time at a gas station, back in the '80s, and always had one of the center fire ones in my pocket, I knew most of the customers that would come in on my shift, but when a questionable looking stranger showed up, my hand was in my pocket,the gun was ready to draw and fire if needed.

What P5 Guy said

I carry a gun for defense constantly. A derringer serves no conceivable purpose, other than self defense. Derringers are far more difficult to shoot - accurately or not - than others.

Therefore, I won't 'do' a derringer. Good luck with the research.

I don't carry a Derringer, but if I had to get stuck with a double barrel pocket pistol and make those 2 rounds count, I would go with a .410 w/ those nasty Winchester rounds that have 3 copper discs behind a slug. Extremely unpleasant to shoot, but go for full effect I guess...

Only true derringer I have is an American Derringer Model 1 in .45LC/.410. Had it for about 24 years now. Neat little gun and a real snake charmer. I carry field shot in it for woods carry and .45 LC loaded with BP for general use. The .000 is also pretty impressive in the little gun. It is a short range proposition. ALthough I have better and more frequently used options, the little American derringer is definitely a keeper.

I bought a 45 Auto derringer from a buddy who was going through a divorce and needed the money. From 7 yards or so you had to aim at the belt buckle to hit someone in the chest. Nasty recoiling thing and not a lot of fun to shoot with full power loads. I sold it soon after and have no desire to ever get another one.

38 Spcl.
I'd like to have one strictly as a range toy. At first I thought a 22, but I think that round is better for one of the mini revolvers. Also on my list for a range toy.
With a 6+1 capacity of 380 in my Elsie Pea, 6+1 of 9MM +P in my KAHR CM 9, 5 rounds of 38 Special +P in my LCR I see no need for just two rounds of anything for pocket carry.
But as a range toy, some cast bullet light 38 Spcl. rounds could be fun.

I'd use it as a flower pot ... they are useless for SD, and not that much fun at the range ... people always used to ask about my Bond in 9mm -- but one or two shots and they were gone ... so is the derringer ...

I voted .454 casull because, if I am not mistaken, you can not only fire .454 casull, but also .45 colt, .45 schofield and .410 gauge shells through one.
Recoil would SUCK with heavy loads in .454 but depending on what you're defending yourself from, .45 colt is likely sufficient for most threats.

IMO, the only use for a derringer is as a extremely light backup gun for CC.

I chose the smallest caliber I felt was reasonable in a self defense situation--45 ACP. The fact that the gun was to be a derringer was irrelevant.

My derringer round choice:

I must vote for the .410/45 Colt combination. A mini-valcano in my hand.

I want to get a Bond Derringer.

I voted for .410/45lc. I've owned my bond arms snake slayer for about 5 years now...I mostly carry it in a vest pocket when hunting in desert areas in case of rattle snakes ( I've gotten 2 with it)... it does take some time to get used to as the bond trigger is a backward/ downward motion rather than straight back... for me, it has and continues to serve my purpose ( snake slaying)...I haven't used it for ccw, but with PDX1 rounds, it would make a real mess of someone's guts..

I'd pick 0.
No Derringers for me. The DoubleTap .45acp shows interest but the concept in 2014 doesn't really make sense to me.
It's be hard to defend in court or explain to a LE investigator too.

I think a derringer in .45 Colt would make a great backup gun. 2 extra shots of .45 Colt would be a benefit to anyone I would think and should be pretty easy to conceal. I'll bet it would be a handful to shoot, sounds like fun to me.

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back