What would you have done? (anti-gun employer)

Yesterday our Range hosted the local Home Builders Association board meeting and members dinner. All members were encouraged to bring any firearms they wanted to shoot at our ranges (rifle, pistol and trap). Now there is a good group of employers!

While working the pistol range at the event another Range officer and myself were discussing an experience his wife had. She works as a volunteer for the local Catholic Social Services Organization.

She brought her personal items to work in an NRA bag. Her supervisor told her not to bring "That Bag" to work anymore because "We don't believe in that here" She responded that both she and her husband do believe in the message and work of the NRA. The supervisor replied "You are not listening, we do not support that here. You are not to bring that bag back and if you do there is more than one way to skin a cat".

His wife gave in and did not bring the bag back.

Employers and hiders of illegal invaders. Part of the 5th Collumn in America, tearing it down from the inside.
I had a staff member with an OD NRA bag up in Yard Control. I hollered out, "Who's NRA bag?" When they answered back, I said, "Nice bag, love the logo!" The lady posted above should have fought that one as a 1st Amendment issue.
We have a strict no weapons policy at work...not surprising inside a prison. :D
I get to store my sidearm, Leatherman, and spare mags in a locker right outside, and pick it up when I leave.:cool:

I think most of us work for companies with anti-gun stands, some a little more over the top than others. My company is anti gun in the workplace and even claims that guns left in your private vehicle violate company policy.

Thankfully I live in a state where it is illegal to prevent a person from keeping a gun in their vehicle, not that I would, because its against company policy mind you, but others can if they'd like....

Anyway, I applaud you for walking away from a company whos views you don't agree with. Its a shame we all can't or won't do the same.

I worked for a Micro Wave Radio outfit. I had to travel form Tuscon to El-Paso and service some 12 radio sites. They told me in uncertain terms I was not allowed to have a fire arm. I carried one every day! Jobs are easier to find the my life. All sites except two was in the boon docks and no more then 30 miles from the border. That lasted 6 years before I parted ways with them.

I never made anybones about admiting that I had gun on when I worked for an employer that said 'NO WEAPONS' all over the place.

In 8 years, I was never confronted, but like most of you would have walked before I took off my gun to make someone "FEEL SAFER" :eek::barf:

I'm no longer affiliated with that organization.

To answer the other question, I'm unfortunately not in a position to quit my job just because of their anti-gun stance. If I were to quit, I would be very hard pressed to find work that pays enough to live on (I know because I have been trying for years to get away from my job).

Musketeer, you are absolutely right in that the management is a joke. We've had our share of entrepenurial thieves, who stole thousands, and didn't get caught for years. I've also endured years of abuse from management, all of which has gone unresolved. Believe me, I could write a book on my experiences there.

You are also absolutely right on the dehumanizing factor. The only reason that I can even tolerate the place anymore is because I now work overnights.

I have worked in health care all of my working life, and the prohibition on guns is virtually universal. There seems to be this concept that a deranged or confused patient could sieze the firearm and create mayhem in the hospital/clinic/nursing home, etc. The fact that I have never even heard of such an occurrence, nor has anyone else that I have ever worked with, seems to matter little. Plus, cases of criminals entering a health care facility to commit robbery, rape or murder are not that unusual also seems not to influence decision makers a whit. I am open to my colleagues and subordinates about my support of the 2nd amendment, about my NRA membership and about my belief in the value of guns for self defense, and have never had a problem. Admittedly, being in senior management has its advantages, but my being a gun supporter is viewed similarly to my love of motorcycles, as just another oddball thing about me. But I have no illusions: should I ever be "caught" with a firearm in the workplace, my status as a VP and many years of value to the company would be dismissed in a moment and I would be terminated.

vito: Interesting point that you make about the probabilities of something happening. Both the pros and the antis use the one-in-a-million chance to justify their side. last night I went for a walk around my neighborhood and carried my gun with me. In the 18 years that I have lived there not a single attack that I know of has ever happened. That does not mean that i couldn't be attacked but the probability is extremely low and most would say I am paranoid. :p The fact that something has never happened doesn't mean it can't happen and if it has it doesn't mean it will again.

As I have posted before I think the safest place on any college campus would be in a classroom rather than the parking lot but the hysteria right now is another VT. Meanwhile we have had several shooting outside the classroom in the US.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Back