• .44 magnum revolver S&W Model 629 V-comp

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • .45 semi-automatic FNX-45 Tactical

Votes: 56 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The revolvers I've seen that don't work have been worked on for competition and/or the competitive shooter has messed up something at superspeed.

A plain jane revolver is pretty solid.

44 magnum, if I'm hiking somewhere in grizzly country, but the .45 acp anywhere else in the lower 48. Don't get me wrong, I love wheel guns, and own a couple myself, but if home defense is the weapon's primary purpose, then the semi-auto pistol is the better choice. You can always get the .44 magnum at a later date. I don't own either weapon you are considering, but from everything I've read and heard, both are great guns.

I own and enjoy autos and revolvers, but I prefer revolvers for self/home defense. I like the idea that a revolver is fully loaded and ready instantly, with no springs under full or partial compression, nothing tensed or stressed, the weapon is completely at rest. I like being able to just glance at a revolver and know everything I need to know. Many autos require closer inspection to determine their condition.

I do not visualize home defense to be static, my intention if possible is to retreat as quickly as possible to my bedroom, where assorted long arms await.

Probably the .45...

<Well OP.... As you can see, majority rules.

Post a review of the FNX 45 when you get it, yeah?>

I don't quite use the internet like a magic 8 ball although I am leaning towards the .45. I have shot .45 semi-autos before (a long time ago though) and feel comfortable enough with them. They don't have the reliability of a revolver but, among other things, it is possible to load them one handed if necessary. I will certainly let everyone know what I get but I probably won't buy anything until a month or so after Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back