Votes: 14 20.0%
  • .45 semi-automatic FNX-45 Tactical

Votes: 56 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

O.K. I have to say my search for a handgun has taken some unusual turns. I believe I have narrowed down my choices to two. The first is a .44 magnum revolver S&W Model 629 V-Comp with a 4 inch barrel and 6 round cylinder. The second is a .45 semi-automatic FNX-45 Tactical with a 5.3 inch barrel and 15 round magazine. With those two choices and being used primarily for home defense, assuming proper training, ammunition, etc, what would you recommend and why? Thank you.

I don't think firing a 44 magnum indoors will be pleasant and having the extra 10 rounds doesn't hurt either. I would do the .45

45 allows for muliple attackers via capacity, is much more manageable in a fight.

The muzzle blast alone from the 44 removes it from my list.

You cant kill someone deader than just plain dead. ;)

The 45 semi has more shots to be sure...
But the one jam you might ever experience might take place when you need it the most.
Ill take the 44 mag revolver. More power, more reliabity.

Biff Tannen said:
The 45 semi has more shots to be sure...
But the one jam you might ever experience might take place when you need it the most.
Ill take the 44 mag revolver. More power, more reliabity.

I love revolvers for home defense, but I think a 44 Mag for indoor use would be prohibitively loud, to the point of being deafening and/or disorienting to the shooter. Remember, unless you happen to keep ear pro on your nightstand, you will be firing a magnum round indoors with no assisstance. I don't even load 357s in my nightstand guns- I stick to 38+P.

Revolvers and Semi-auto's can both jam. When an semi jams, it is typically a malfunction that can be easily cleared. When a revolver jams, it turns your gun into a club.

I voted for the FNX-45...but only because there wasn't a shotgun, pistol caliber carbine, or a 357 revolver to vote for.

<You cant kill someone deader than just plain dead ;)>

That's pretty funny. I want to thank you and others for their time and input.

Well, you can always load the revolver with wonderful .44 specials.

Get what you want most... Then get the other one too in a couple months!

The 44 mag can be loaded with 44 spl. But, I assume the V COMP model has a muzzel brake/compensator on it. 1 shot in total darkness and be you and the intruder will probably be blind. Gases going upward to reduce muzzle rise will blind you. No tactical advantage there. I'm sure you should be able to find some videos of a 44 mag firing at night. It's diffently worth the research. FNX 45, my choice also. Less flash, more ammo and certainly not as loud. Just IMHO by the way.

.44 because I always vote S&W, even when it is not rational.:o

The .45 would probably be better for your stated purpose. If you had more choices I would go 9mm or .357.

I would never use a .44 Mag as an HD gun. Way too much gun for the stated purpose. I think the FNX is an ideal HD gun. It's a big .45, and the extra 9 or 10 rounds is certainly a plus. Not to mention, the .44 is tough to control in a SD situation. That big .45 hardly moves when you pull the trigger. Get a threaded barrel and put in for a suppressor and you won't have to worry about losing your hearing if someone does something stupid and breaks into your house.

So given the options, I'd go with the FNX for the stated purpose. Though, personally, I wouldn't choose either of those, but that's my personal preference.

I would choose the 629 but I would go with the 6 inch barrel, especially if its main purpose is hd. I only say that since its out of those two firearms.
As mentioned a 44 mag may be a bit much for that environment, however you could load it with 44 specials and have better control, a little less power and you'r still gana leave a good size hole.

Did not vote.
But, if the poll were caliber only, not a spacific gun I would vote 45ACP. Much better HD or SD round than 44 Magnum unless you were in a cop movie from the 70's
You could use 44Special ammo in the Magnum, but why the extra size, weight, and cost of the magnum gun if you use tge lighted loads?
The FNX is probably a fine gun, It ust doesm'tappeal to me.

Glock 19 and ruby slippers - Saxon!

The latter lets you beam out of there.

Seriously - the guns are quite different beasts. Which do you shoot best and reload best under stress? Either would work if you are competent.

Me - I'd go for the 45 if it were reliable. More rounds and ammo choices for SD.

<Snip Post>

<Revolvers and Semi-auto's can both jam. When an semi jams, it is typically a malfunction that can be easily cleared. When a revolver jams, it turns your gun into a club.>

My question is this: Generally speaking, how often does a good quality revolver (which has been maintained) jam up to where it becomes a club? One of the reasons a revolver is in my top choices is reliability. Having a capacity of 6 for a revolver doesn't bother me too much in general, especially for home defense situations. O.K. in situations like Steven Seagal's movie, "Marked for Death," where you have countless guys pouring out of the woodwork trying to kill you and don't seemed phased by all of their counterparts dropping like flies, I'll be screwed but I suspect those situations are extremely rare in real life; I'd probably be far more likely to run into an issue with a semi-auto jamming up on me against one or two criminals than run into a situation like that.

Honestly, very seldom, generally due to a mechanical failure. A better quality revolver that hasn't been "worked on" (read- bubba'd) should work reliably every shot. However, like any mass produce tool, there can be quality control issues, and even S&W and Ruger put out the occasional lemon.

Like I said, I keep revolvers by my bedside. I just wanted to make sure we were clear that revolvers can and do malfunction- their malfunctions are just much less likely to happen and often much more catastrophic.

Among the handguns I own is a FNP45 Tactical (same as an FNX for the purposes of this conversation) that is my duty gun, it doubles as my nightstand gun. I've carried it for a couple of years now and it has proven to be 100% reliable regardless of ammunition, accurate, versatile, and rugged. Among it's many features are the 15+1 capacity and factory night sights and I like the fact that even though I carry it cocked and locked it has a decocker and I can have it hammer down, safety on, when on the nightstand. Mine is equipped with a Trijicon RMR02 optic and I put a Streamlight 300 lumen TLR-1s on it at night.

I'm a Colt 1911 guy at heart, have several and carry one off duty, and I love my S&W revolvers, no .44s currently but I do have a couple of .45s. However, IMO, the FN is about the perfect duty or home defense pistol.

SDC11841.JPG

I like a revolver for an HD pistol.
If things were really nasty, I'd only need it for my brief "tactical scurry" to the closet/safe to retrieve a long gun, so I don't see capacity as quite as big of an issue. And in the event things happened so fast I didn't have time to make it to the closet I probably wouldn't have time to get off more shots than I could manage with a revolver anyway.
But for investigating noises outside at night a revolver is just somehow more comforting.
And, I know that you're not supposed to investigate noises, but I live in a fox/racoon/bear kind of area with very low crime, and I have a 2-year-old. So, if I don't go outside (with the dogs) there's a good chance I'm going to have to clean up a field of diaper fragments off the lawn in the morning.

I'd think you'd want to keep a .44 loaded with "special" rather than "magnums".

I actually, at this point, have a 2 gun quick access safe bolted through the bottom of my bedside table into the floor. So I keep my EDC 9mm as well as my .357 with magnums inside.
But, when I just had the one, it was the .357 loaded with .38spl, and a speed loader of FMJ magnums I could put in if I needed to go outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back