What would you choose for a 9mm PDW?

If I'm reading this correctly, you want something larger than a pistol but smaller than a rifle for defense in places where concealment isn't a primary issue. In that role, I don't have a problem with 9mm. As others have said, it does pick up a little velocity. As barrel length increases, 9mm can start behaving more like .357 Sig does from a pistol and .40 S&W can start behaving more like 10mm does from a pistol. You also get the benefit of light recoil and it is less loud than .223 or more powerful rifle rounds.

The question I'd ask is if you can't get by with a carbine. Versus a carbine, how much advantage do you get out of the "bigger than a pistol but smaller than a rifle without sending you through the unconstitutional hassle of obtaining permission for an SBR" class of firearm?
One doesn't need to SBR to have advantages over a common rifle caliber carbine.

A loaded Beretta CX4 Storm weighs about 1.5 pounds less than a typical loaded M4 style AR, and is the same OAL as the collapsed AR. That 1.5 pounds is a huge advantage for many shooters.

The CX4 also has far less recoil, blast, db, and flash, all huge advantages (especially indoors).

And finally, no rifle caliber carbine can touch the 'practice per dollar' advantage of a 9mm PCC. On average it's about a two to one advantage.

As a criminal I would be far more worried about a confidant soccer-mom type that practices with a CX4 every month....
Than a tuff-guy John Wick wannabe that spends more money on tacti-crap than practice, and thinks 556 will somehow compensate.

A loaded Beretta CX4 Storm weighs about 1.5 pounds less than a typical loaded M4 style AR, and is the same OAL as the collapsed AR. That 1.5 pounds is a huge advantage for many shooters.

The CX4 also has far less recoil, blast, db, and flash, all huge advantages (especially indoors)...

When I asked if the OP couldn't get by with a carbine, I actually had the CX4 in mind. It's very handy. I feel pretty well covered with a full-sized pistol and a pistol-caliber carbine, such as the PX4 and CX4. Of the three original options listed in this thread, I've handled two. Neither really seemed to add enough to justify a place in my roster.

All those are big kid's toys that let you pretend you have an SMG without all the legal BS.
"...one's daily life, where combat is not..." Exactly.
"...There's a reason why the..." Primarily because SMG's use 9mm.
"...they'd all have switched..." Nope. Militaries and Police tend to operate on the "That's how we've always done it." philosophy with a huge pile of "What's it cost?". The latter being the most important. Oh and even the Israeli's have quit using the Uzi. Too heavy and clumsy.
"...analysis of an FBI study..." Which means exactly nothing. The FBI is not, never has been nor ever will be the arbitrators of anything firearm related.

"...analysis of an FBI study..." Which means exactly nothing. The FBI is not, never has been nor ever will be the arbitrators of anything firearm related.

Well they certainly can't compete with an internet forum, but I don't know if I'd sell them that short.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The CX4 also has far less recoil, blast, db, and flash, all huge advantages (especially indoors).

And finally, no rifle caliber carbine can touch the 'practice per dollar' advantage of a 9mm PCC. On average it's about a two to one advantage.

As a criminal I would be far more worried about a confidant soccer-mom type that practices with a CX4 every month....
Than a tuff-guy John Wick wannabe that spends more money on tacti-crap than practice, and thinks 556 will somehow compensate.
Could also make the same case for the Kel Tec when it's folded.

Actually none of the above would be my answer as I feel there are much better weapons for P D than those mentioned....although I have three AR pistols...

Depends on the situation.

If I can bring something a little heavier, where a backpack can come along:

picture.php

The thing is, this is a great AR pistol, but it's a lot heavier than it looks.

...but if I need something lighter, that can be broken down:

picture.php

I'm actually quite impressed with the Glock/ENDO combination, almost more so than the heavy 9mm AR. I can also switch between 9mm, .357 SIG and .40S&W in less than a minute.

I'd say 0-40 yards - Glock,
10-75 yards - AR.

Last edited:
Back