What/when do you eat before you shoot?

If you do drink a cup of coffee every morning, don't skip it to go shooting. Try to eat and drink what you normally would. I usually eat a fairly light breakfast and lunch, and if I chow down a Hardees thickburger on the way to the range, I usually feel awful. It actually takes quite a bit of energy to digest food, and that energy comes out of what your body has available.

diet and shooting

I can work all night and then go shoot an IPSC or IDPA match in the morning, and be moderately hyped up on caffeine and (usually) shoot fine.

In the winter I often shoot in a rimfire 50 ft bullseye league, and prior to shooting I limit myself to a large cup of green tea and a light snack. I found that when shooting bulleye, too much caffeine made me too unsteady. And when digesting a big meal, all the blood is drawn to your digestive system, which can also be detrimental to your shooting.

I usually avoid eating a big meal before shooting, even in practice, unless I'm shooting outside in cold weather. Under those circumstances, the furnace needs a little fuel.

Might sound funny, but bananas are the ones that will stop your arms from shaking, due to their potassium level.

Back